Black Sea - Sochi / Yalta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozymandias_kok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know anything about diving in this area? We are looking to go around the end of August and I am trying to work a few dives into each vacation we take. :) Have only dived in Thailand previously, so are used to nice warm water.

Not to reply to myself, but more for the general knowledge...

We dove with Akvamarin in Balaklava. You'll need a translator if you don't speak Russian though. Mine's not that great but we got along fine and they double-checked to make sure I understood. They have a pretty good operation, though the diving in the area just isn't all that interesting. Mostly semi-silted shallow rock bottoms. It was kind of fun swimming in and out among the rocks like an obstacle course. Not much fish to look at and hardly an coral. It's still relaxing to get wet if you are in the area though. I was disappointed, in that I had heard about a statue of Lenin that was sitting underwater, and knew I had to have a picture there, though sadly the statue was broken up in a storm. Leave some of your PADI sensibilities at home though, because they aren't so "no touch" in the area. One guy even was literally fin-walking along the bottom collecting items, mainly smallish crabs, and of course kicking up the silt like mad.

All in all, a decent experience. If you are there, stop by for a dive, but don't go there specifically for diving. Lots of other stuff to see, though you do need to speak Russian or have an interpreter. It was quiet and relaxing there, with vineyards all around (grape vines outside our balcony windows even!), remnants of a Genovese (?) fort up on the hill, and an old Soviet submarine pen tunneled into the other hill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom