"Black water" diving. No vis, or no daylight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had always thought the term meant zero vis, can't even read your gauges, total "braille" dive. I've done a couple of these trying to find something in a marina or ramp, where it's a total silt-out. Not my dive of choice.

Now I wonder if it's being used for night dives, in part because it sounds cool?

Scuba at night: Blackwater diving off Hawaii - CNN.com

Nice article in CNN, but it's a night dive, right? Or does language "evolve"?

A night dive, in black water they wouldn't see s**t.

Bob

I had always thought the term meant zero vis, can't even read your gauges, total "braille" dive. I've done a couple of these trying to find something in a marina or ramp, where it's a total silt-out. Not my dive of choice.

Now I wonder if it's being used for night dives, in part because it sounds cool?

Scuba at night: Blackwater diving off Hawaii - CNN.com

Nice article in CNN, but it's a night dive, right? Or does language "evolve"?
Blackwater is a play-on-words of Bluewater. The idea is a night dive in deep water, so you can see the pelagics come near the surface to feed. Awesome.

My first night dive was Stetson Bank.
It was like orbiting the Moon on the dark side (okay, I haven't done that..).
Vis was crystal-clear, as it often is way out at FGB.

But still a "night dive", at least in the parlance I am used to. Though the dive itself does sound cool.

My first night dive was Stetson Bank.
It was like orbiting the Moon on the dark side (okay, I haven't done that..).
Vis was crystal-clear, as it often is way out at FGB.

But still a "night dive", at least in the parlance I am used to. Though the dive itself does sound cool.
Diving at night over Stetson Bank is a night dive, but not a "Blackwater" dive, in today's parlance. Blackwater means deepwater, like 600 plus feet, so there are deep critters that can rise to the surface.

Blackwater is a play-on-words of Bluewater.

That's it. A "blue water dive" is a dive where you float in the open ocean and get to see whatever comes by, and these have traditionally been in the daytime. Now they have coined "black water dive" to refer to the same sort of dive but at night. Maybe "blue water night dive" just doesn't sound right.

That's it. A "blue water dive" is a dive where you float in the open ocean and get to see whatever comes by, and these have traditionally been in the daytime. Now they have coined "black water dive" to refer to the same sort of dive but at night. Maybe "blue water night dive" just doesn't sound right.

Ah. Good explanation. Got it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom