Blackbeards in January - things to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
All,

I've been on BB's once (Aug/Sept 2003). I had an awesome trip and my wife/dive buddy and I have booked a return for the week of Jan 17th (if any of you are going, I'd love to hear from you and be sure to meet you).
What I'm curious about are the weather and water quality for that time of year. I've validate the water temps from historical data avail. on the web - but that doesn't tell the whole story. I recall how rough the ride over to Bimini was in late August - is it rougher in Jan? Any information that can help us be prepared on this trip would be gratefully appreciated!

The weather and sea conditions that exist E of Florida during that time of year (first quarter) is why the Nekton Pilot & Rorqual doesn't make that crossing by sea, they fly you over to Andros for the same price.

It could be a rough one, but BB allows for plenty of "medication".

I went this year in mid-November and the crossing was rough both ways. Captain Paul told us the crossing is significantly rougher during the winter than in the summer. I strongly recommend foul weather gear. Put it on as soon as you see the captain put his on.

You may get seasick but I see the crossing as a positive thing. It's part of the adventure and helps develop a bonding between the passengers and crew. The social setting was the most memorable part of the trip for me.

Have a wonderful trip and make sure you grab some Conch fritters and/or a fish sandwich at the Bimini Breeze. The food is excellent and very cheap. We were lucky to have some bad weather and get three nights in port and it made the trip much more fun than if the weather was perfect and we were sailing all the time.

Blackbeard's is a great trip and certainly worth the price.

I'm looking for water temps in the lows 70s, so take adequate thermal protection. Also take a light jacket to wear onboard.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I went on on BB's the week of Jan 20, 2002 and the water temp in my Suunto Dive log is 77f every single dive that week except 1.

I remember the BB website suggesting:

January-February 72-75f/22-24c 70-80f/21-27c Full Wetsuit-6mm or thicker

This is crazy. I remember everyone on the boat pretty much wearing 2pc 3mils. Almost all of the lead was gone from the forward gear lockers and Capt Steve was commenting that he couldn't believe how much "rubber" every one was wearing.

In retrospect I would have worn only .5mil hyperstretch, 3mil shorty and 7mil hood if I had to do it all over again.

I also went in Nov, (Hi Brady!) :wave: and wore a 3 mil jumpsuit with a halfmil under it, and wished I had my 7 mil shorty with me. I was cold on every dive.
The crossing, as Brady says (we went the same week), was rough, and I puked the whole way over. I opted out and flew on a Chalk's seaplane back to FTL on the way home. The weather affected our diving, and we did miss out on some.
Now don't get me wrong, it was still an amazing trip. I had a great week, and will certainly do another week next year. And what Brady said about the conch fritters is SO true. They were amazing. :)

Isn't that the truth!! I'm heading to Nassau on Fri. Water temps of 77 degrees and my wife insists that she is diving dry!!!

Geez!!!

Dave

I hope the weather cooperates with you..but please let me know how your trip went as I will be leaving on Jan 31!

The thought of bringing something other than a 3 mm full didnt even cross my mind, but maybe the hood and 7mm shortys not such a bad idea...

-Tom

Tom,

Will do. I'm bringing a 5/3 and a 3/2 mm full suit with a 3 mm hood. The water temps (not surface) are supossed to be a consistant 72-75 - so I think I trust the data and this should be enough exposure protection.

Back
Top Bottom