Blacking out a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plus the tinfoil protects you from thought-sucking aliens.

The Blue Painter's masking tape works the best. It's what we use when needed for training on my PSD Team. Put it on the inside and because of the way it's designed there is no residue or glue left over when you remove it.

let me share a reason to use removable covers the dive comes to surface can continue the skill sighted ie. unconcious diver. also should a dive panic in the pool he can get his site bake without removing the mask. and should someone get injured can you defent taking there site without any contingency just a thought not for or aginst tape, bags, painted old mask just know that as the trainer you are responsiable for the total safety of your training
is it safe
does it make sense
in the worst case will it work
these are questions i apply to all my skills and drills

not being a know it all just passing on the thing i have found helped me

sorry for the spelling my fingers suk lol ill re type if need but i am sure you get the point

I will agree with the posts on this forum that the methods described above work but the advantages that Buck (UDTfire) point out are very valid. The diver can regain his sight instantly if something goes afoul. When using a "mask cover" the mask does not need to be removed to regain vision.

The black out cover sold by Dive Rescue International for $10 is shown at:
Black-Out Mask from Dive Rescue International

It can be used over and over, changed underwater between divers, and allows training drills to move along at an efficient pace with minimal down time. If material is placed inside the lens, then the transition between drills slows down considerably and because of normal body fluids associatied with changing pressure, blackout material placed inside the lens shoud not be shared or reused.

A team can also go to a fabric store and purchase a yard of black fabric, a yard of elastic and take both to a sew shop to manufacture their own masks covers too. But for $10, you get one pre-made and the fabric sold by DRI will last for years. In this era of "recycle / reuse" many in the PSD community think the Dive Rescue International mask cover represents a good value.

Back
Top Bottom