Blackout idea ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But diving beyond your natural physical capabilities and trusting your life into a tank filled with air or oxygen seems more "common sense" ? Not really to me ... The list of things that can go wrong with scuba diving is pretty long, add the list of restrictions and you're quite bond. Thats where the "free" comes in ... besides you don't do one 4-5 minute dive a day, with proper resting in between you can do pretty many of those.

I think it's down to your point of view, we just have very different views here.

0) Neither does flying, and the problem there is, if its the pilots time to die...your all F-ed
1) Scubies dont go as deep as freediverds
2) We maintain the natural habit of breathing

I am darn sure its down to point of view. It just feels to me that even with a buddy, if something goes wrong, a tank diver has a bit more time on their hands than a free diver.

Entanglement in superiorbeing/motherinlaw might now what, i cant see a freediver go :
Oh gosh i'm stuck.
Where is my knife?
Where am i caught ,and in what?
Now lets carefully cut this without slashing myself .
Pfoo I'm loose...
**** I should not have exhaled yet i still have to go up 40 meters.

I do think its amazing that ppl can, but you cant take your time when and if you see something.

desiredbard:
Does the line never ever hold your breath mean anything?
Its fine for a freediver to do so since they do'nt inhale compressed air, but breathing compressed and ho,ding your breath .....thats the No1 killer...not panic!
Of course panic means people stop breathing regularly but that's beside the point

you don't have to totally close your airway to hold your breath. you can release a small stream of bubbles. that will suffice to prevent lung overexpansion. besides, its the knowledge that you can do it that helps give you time to work it out. maybe all you have to do is catch up with your buddy that is chasing a fish :) so you can share his air...

viajerochevere:
you don't have to totally close your airway to hold your breath. you can release a small stream of bubbles. that will suffice to prevent lung overexpansion. besides, its the knowledge that you can do it that helps give you time to work it out. maybe all you have to do is catch up with your buddy that is chasing a fish :) so you can share his air...
A you should not run out oof air
B you should be closer to your buddy He should not be a minutres swim away!
C If for some daft reason your budy is 7m above you you better not try holding your breath

freediving, what little i know of it is a completely different kettle of fish than scubadiving
Personally I cannot even snorkel cause my mind confuses the thing with a reg, i keep in/exhaling even when i go a little deeper

desiredbard:
freediving, what little i know of it is a completely different kettle of fish than scubadiving
Personally I cannot even snorkel cause my mind confuses the thing with a reg, i keep in/exhaling even when i go a little deeper
Why not try it a bit before knocking it? I can't tell you how much more efficient I am on scuba through my freediving. For me, there is nothing like a breath-hold dive to clear my mind.:wink:

freediver:
Why not try it a bit before knocking it? I can't tell you how much more efficient I am on scuba through my freediving. For me, there is nothing like a breath-hold dive to clear my mind.:wink:
Or blow your lungs...
Nah smoking took its toll 1.10 is about what I manage.
Oh I might try it some time but niot in the waters around here.

It just appears to me that it must be a major annoyance to freedive, spot a frogfish, and not being able to hav a good long long look at it.

I just tried to point out that there is breath control and holding breath. And inhaling at -30m from a tank and cruising your way up like a freediver does is NOT a good idea.

desiredbard:
And inhaling at -30m from a tank and cruising your way up like a freediver does is NOT a good idea.
I'm a freediver myself but don't know anyone that will do that. :confused:

It was an indirect reaction to the guy who suggested that being able to freedive would give him more safety whilst scubaing. I just pointed out that they are different and that taking your last breath from a tank and ascend LIKE a freediver is not a healthy idea.

You freedive local as well????

I did freediving for years before I became certified. It still feels good to get rid of all the clunky mechanical scuba stuff and just dive. Its far from suicidal. I think the world record with mask and fins, not the weight riding record is 366 feet. The guy is still healthy and diving. That's extreme but lots of divers safely dive within their limits and enjoy it.

desiredbard:
It was an indirect reaction to the guy who suggested that being able to freedive would give him more safety whilst scubaing. I just pointed out that they are different and that taking your last breath from a tank and ascend LIKE a freediver is not a healthy idea.

You freedive local as well????
Again, there is a strong degree of comfort knowing if i were out of air at 100 feet and I were able to get a decent breath I could ascend, while exhaling of course, and make it to the surface. My only concern would be that I could probably only do a three minute safety stop as opposed to five.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom