BlackTip Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've recently ordered a Blacktip Tech from Dive Gear Express (should be shipping Tuesday - they had none in stock, but their DiveXtras rep is going to get one from storage and hand-delivering to their warehouse to ship, which I thought was pretty cool) and bought two of the Dewalt 10AH batteries from Lowes, as well as a double battery charger.

Has anyone used the 10AH batteries so far?

I have a buddy who uses the 10 aH batteries as he got a set with a lawnmower he purchased. He has no complaints at all. You have to weight them differently than the 9 and 12 aH batteries. But they work just fine. They don’t use the system where the cap slides on and breaks them into 3 different batteries so they aren’t airplane friendly I don’t think.

I have a buddy who uses the 10 aH batteries as he got a set with a lawnmower he purchased. He has no complaints at all. You have to weight them differently than the 9 and 12 aH batteries. But they work just fine. They don’t use the system where the cap slides on and breaks them into 3 different batteries so they aren’t airplane friendly I don’t think.
That sucks to find out now, but realistically I won't be flying with it anyways (at least in the near future... too poor right now to even think about vacationing somewhere cool where I'd want to take it). There's enough wreck diving in South Florida to keep me interested in using it open-water wise, and if I ever get off my arse and get my full cave, that would eventually open me up to cave DPV cert as well. I think at this point I'm the world's longest-running intro to cave diver, at 6.5 years and counting LOL

So, the 10aH batteries worked great. They are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than either the 9aH or 12aH batteries though (to the tune of approximately 400 grams per battery - mine are 1055 grams and his 9aH FlexVolts are 1445 grams), and much smaller in size.

I tried trimming my scooter in the hotel pool to be similar to my buddy's, and we removed all of the adhesive weights from the nose & tail ends of the body tube prior to starting, since he had to do so with his - was a big mistake, as far as time spent. I bet it took us three hours to properly weight the scooter after doing that (and including a trip to Harbor Freight to buy two new packs of 1/4oz wheel weights). I also had to use nearly all of his remaining shot to absolutely fill my nose cone 100% of the way.

The upside, though - I think I now have the Tech tube trimmed out absolutely perfect. I might be a few grams off, in total, but in the pool it is dead nuts straight when you take it to the bottom and release it. I also made the crotch strap bolt-snap free running on the tow leash, vs. the way it comes from the factory. Feels easier to control, and it doesn't bind my junk up as bad as it did as a fixed snap when I towed him for a bit (or when hitting speeds 6-8 solo).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom