blacktip > is the warranty any good ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Etmutt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,

Did any of you had issue with dive extra on warranty? What has been your experience with their customer service?

My new dpv started to be very noisy at around the 5th dive with it, so i got in touch with dive extra a week ago. We emailed back and forth quickly, and they concluded that the blacktip had likely a bearing issue and needed to be serviced. I brought up the warranty, and they immediately went silent.... Not too sure why though, so I'm bringing the topic up here in hope that they will see it.

Reactions: OTF
Divextras has atrocious customer service; I am not joking when I say they might be the worst.

They refuse to give parts to the shop my piranha came from.

There was the Black Friday debacle where they over sold , lagged for a long time, cancelled people’s orders who were in a hurry , or sent out used parts and called them new.

They stopped supporting my piranha ; what am I supposed to do to replace the batteries? (My unit is a pre PTB)

They won’t sell an Anderson connector, instead saying the whole scooter has to be sent in.

Hey all,

Did any of you had issue with dive extra on warranty? What has been your experience with their customer service?

My new dpv started to be very noisy at around the 5th dive with it, so i got in touch with dive extra a week ago. We emailed back and forth quickly, and they concluded that the blacktip had likely a bearing issue and needed to be serviced. I brought up the warranty, and they immediately went silent.... Not too sure why though, so I'm bringing the topic up here in hope that they will see it.
I got an early Blacktip, like serial number less than 150. Quite a few of us went in on a group buy when they first came out. On the second dive my scooter stuttered and died. I exchanged some messages with Ciara, sent it in, they redid the reed switch (they changed the way they aligned things), sent it back and it's worked fine ever since. A couple of other ones from our batch had the same problem and they were quickly fixed.

If you've modified anything they will blame you for the problem. I think they've been overwhelmed with demand for the Blacktip, since there's nothing else competitive at the price, even after they've increased the cost a couple of times since its introduction. Since you're out of the country, warranty service might be different. Did you buy from Dive-X or a non-US dealer?

I think they've been overwhelmed with demand for the Blacktip, since there's nothing else competitive at the price, even after they've increased the cost a couple of times since its introduction. Since you're out of the country, warranty service might be different. Did you buy from Dive-X or a non-US dealer?
yes i would understand the overwhelmed part if they didn't replied back and forth very quickly before i brought up the warranty ....
i even got someone on the phone yesterday who committed to send an email "within minutes"; but I m still waiting for it. to me it looks very much like they're trying to avoid it altogether.

luckily, i bought it in Europe, even though I m not living there. so worst case i will just bring it back to the shop i bought it from and use the mandatory 2 years warranty.

They stopped supporting my piranha ; what am I supposed to do to replace the batteries? (My unit is a pre PTB)

They won’t sell an Anderson connector, instead saying the whole scooter has to be sent in.
If it helps, anderson connectors are here https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

DiveX hypes up the fact that you don't rely on them for batteries (in general, they have never actually made a scooter battery, they relied on rabbit tool and now others). That does tend to make the actual batteries cheaper, since they are sourced from bigger suppliers. Unfortunately, that makes you reliant on another company for service or replacement.

You can make a replacement battery yourself or have one made for a pre-PBT piranha though

If it helps, anderson connectors are here Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx

DiveX hypes up the fact that you don't rely on them for batteries (in general, they have never actually made a scooter battery, they relied on rabbit tool and now others). That does tend to make the actual batteries cheaper, since they are sourced from bigger suppliers. Unfortunately, that makes you reliant on another company for service or replacement.

You can make a replacement battery yourself or have one made for a pre-PBT piranha though

I ordered my anderson connectors from Mcmaster because I am lazy and place orders with them all the time.

I've worked through most of my problems with my scooters but I have been so annoyed with them in the past I wanted to share with everyone else. I have a machine shop at my disposal so have a lot of options for retrofitting the scooters; I feel sorry for everybody else because divex really doesn't support their customers.

I will NEVER buy something new from DiveX unless I really really have to because of the non sense they have pulled in the past.

I ordered my anderson connectors from Mcmaster because I am lazy and place orders with them all the time.

I've worked through most of my problems with my scooters but I have been so annoyed with them in the past I wanted to share with everyone else. I have a machine shop at my disposal so have a lot of options for retrofitting the scooters; I feel sorry for everybody else because divex really doesn't support their customers.

I will NEVER buy something new from DiveX unless I really really have to because of the non sense they have pulled in the past.
I hear you. The continuous crazy futzing people go through with their blacktip software boggles my mind.

Hey all,

I eventually got an email after insisting quite a bit. The email purposefully avoid any mention of warranty and says that "I have requested to do some work on my blacktip"

Dive Xtras is now the worst customer service company in my book. I was quite happy with the product but a good product without basic customer service is a big no go for me.

Are they really that complicated inside that a local appliance technician couldn't take a look at the circuit boards for any potential electrical issues? Was always under the assumption the DPV was pretty straight forward inside, the sealing from the pressure being the complicated bit from an engineering standpoint.

I get that you wanna use warranty. For me I like to mod / improve things. Where I live in Indonesia, warranty probably wouldn't be worth the hassle anyway (import duties etc.)

I had a lot of issues with mine starting with dive #1. I sent back a couple of times until they finally admitted they found a loose connection and redid the wiring. When I got it back, as I was putting the scooter together, one of the wires came undone from the Anderson connector (hate those things!) I replaced the connector with this:

Nonetheless, I continued to have problems with the scooter until I did a firmware update so that the software no longer checks for battery imbalance. Since then, there's been a huge improvement in reliability but once in a while I get a shorter than normal run time (battery fatigue?)

Back
Top Bottom