Bladder Life? Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I found two 14year old Zeagle Rangers that look to be in great shape. My only question on them is how long should you expect a bladder to work safely? I know that maintenance means a lot to the life time, but if someone took good care and did proper maintenance, how many years should a bladder last?

Thanks for any feedback.

Craig

Mine is 11 this year - still works fine. I flush it well after every trip - I've had the BX inflator for a few years but it's only been in for routine service once about 5 years ago.

Since Scuba Sciences closed, the only Zeagle dealer in town is All Wet in Tempe afaik. Scubatoys is also. I buy parts (zip-touch accessories) from Zeagle Express.

Hi Steve, Capt.Gene here!
The BC Field Repair Kit would allow you to replave the working parts, the valve mechanism, yourself needing only an allen wrench.
The job takes no particular skills and only an allen wrench for tools. The kit costs less than the service would cost.
Cool design!

I meant to say I'd taken the whole BC in for routine service once.

I bought the BX to replace a standard sticking inflator a few years ago.

From you IIRC...:D

So what do you think, a well maintained BC could go 20 to 25 years?

cb

So what do you think, a well maintained BC could go 20 to 25 years?

cb

Most likely, we've seen plenty of BCs from 20-25 years old come back for service and look just fine. As with all things in life "your mileage may vary." Honestly with a used BC I would take a real good look at that bladder and see if you can flush out any possible crud from inside it (the Bx inflator and Octo-Z are great for this).

If the bladder is starting to get really yellow and stiff, its time to think about replacing it. If it has the old style "elbow" fitting on the shoulder instead of the threaded flange I would DEFINITELY see about getting that replaced. You can always contact Susan in our Service Department if you have any questions about that. She can be reached via email at service@zeagle.com

Back
Top Bottom