"Blast from past"...use my Nikonos SB102 w/digital setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthFla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello all, I've certainly enjoyed this new (to me) site :D I'm getting back into recreational diving and photography after a few years off, and am most excited 'bout it...

I've been searching and reading on this site, but I am still not positive I can do what I want.

I have (being delivered this week) a Canon A590IS camera and corresponding Ikelite housing. I also have my old Nikonos V and SB102 flash w/WA diffuser setup from years past, pretty much in mint condition. The SB102 has a "slave" function.

My questions:

1) Would it be possible to use the SB102 on "Slave" and have the Canon digital flash (with Ikelite flash deflector in place) trigger the slave wirelessly? If so, I have to ensure there's no "pre flash," right? Do you think this will work and be successful? (realizing of course the manual nature of this type of flash photography)

2) Also, I've done a little research on the "Digital Adapter" by "Heinrich" and have sent him an email but have not heard back from him yet. Would this be a good option, and would it allow for TTL to work?? Not sure I can understand how this is possible, but...

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm just hoping the flash would work so I can blow my remaining $$ on a WA lens and dome for the setup :wink:

Thanks!

John

Anyone? Bueller....Bueller...

Okay, well for no other reason than to amuse myself:

I got the "Heinrichs" adapter, and attached it to the Nikonos SB102 Strobe and placed it near the Canon flash. The camera now perfectly fires the strobe in sync. Woohoo!

Now I need to figure out what mode the strobe with work in-TTL mode would be GREAT!

Hello all, I've certainly enjoyed this new (to me) site :D I'm getting back into recreational diving and photography after a few years off, and am most excited 'bout it...

I've been searching and reading on this site, but I am still not positive I can do what I want.

I have (being delivered this week) a Canon A590IS camera and corresponding Ikelite housing. I also have my old Nikonos V and SB102 flash w/WA diffuser setup from years past, pretty much in mint condition. The SB102 has a "slave" function.

My questions:

1) Would it be possible to use the SB102 on "Slave" and have the Canon digital flash (with Ikelite flash deflector in place) trigger the slave wirelessly? If so, I have to ensure there's no "pre flash," right? Do you think this will work and be successful? (realizing of course the manual nature of this type of flash photography)

2) Also, I've done a little research on the "Digital Adapter" by "Heinrich" and have sent him an email but have not heard back from him yet. Would this be a good option, and would it allow for TTL to work?? Not sure I can understand how this is possible, but...

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm just hoping the flash would work so I can blow my remaining $$ on a WA lens and dome for the setup :wink:

Thanks!

John

Yes, I believe it will work. Go into the functions and select camera strobe to manual, set power at 1/3 to begin with (1/3, 2/3, 3/3 are the choices) and select the 590 to either manual or Av(auto mode) and your old strobe should sync up. These adjustments cancel the pre-flash on the 590. Also, make sure the red eye reduction is turned off.

N

Thanks N! Gonna do a few practice dives in the pool to get accustomed to the gear before heading out to some wrecks next weekend.

Question: Would you recommend leaving the camera in "Macro" focus, or does that not matter? BTW I'm using an Inon100 UWL w/the Dome.

No, do not put it in macro focus. The Inon lense you have is not like those bubble lenses or a bare dome, it is an integrated unit, the camera will focus just as it always has except the focus will now extend from a few inches in front of the dome to infinity.

You may find center weighted metering better, try that and evaluative, default is evaluative. I also use spot meter some. I am still playing to try and reduce sun ball blow out.

I like that you don't log dives, neither do I and I am not going to either. :wink:

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom