"Blocking off" flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Now I got this camera...it's cool...but I have this problem in that I don't know what I'm doing.

People tell me to "block off" the internal flash. But how much "blocking off" do I have to do...AND

The housing came with a "blast shield"(I like to call it that cause it sounds dangerous) that prevents the little black area from appearing on photos. Is this sufficient to prevent backscatter?

Thanks and sorry for the lousy posting but I"m almost too excited to write-I'm going to CocoView tomorrow!

Mike

Some housings come with a piece of darkened film or plastic that you can slide behind the diffuser (the frosted plastic piece in front of the flash) Often people seem to use old negative film or black tape. Inon provides a clear strip with their optical cable kits that doesn't allow light through that will be reflected in the image. I've tried the black tape. My brand peels off a bit easily-amazing what crud you get for 99 cents these days. You can also go to the local plastic craft shop and get a piece of opaque plastic to install in place of the original frosted one.

Again....Larry to the rescue.

I can rest comfortably once more...until the next emergency.

SteveC:
If you block the flash instead of turning it off, the image will be under exposed.

Depends if you are shooting in manaul or not and you should be shooting manual UW.

If you can't turn it off, blocking it works well but remember if you are shooting macro or something close-1ft or less, you can and should use the internal flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom