Blue Angel Resort review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the BA balconies are fine for adults, but a toddler could easily slip under the railing. Back when it was La Perla it had a sheltered "baby pool" where the entry point is now with a gently sloping though small beach area surrounding it. That was before the dive shop and restaurant were there.

I just stayed at Blue Angel. It is a very nice clean resort. The dive shop is very convenient and offers many choices in boats and times. Andy, one of Blue Angels divemasters, is exceptional!

The restaurant is excellent offering breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have many choices which we were able to try a few. All were very good.

I have also returned from a recent stay at BA. This was my 5th stay there and there was a couple of changes that I noticed.

Very frustrated that the room wifi continued to sporadically go out on a nightly basis. There are 3 routers onsite: the lobby, the restaurant, and the rooms. Only the room wifi would go out which left everyone to leave their rooms at night to sit at the lobby or restaurant to go online. Mellissa said it is the internet provider problem but, I don’t understand why it effects just to room router???

The restaurant still has outstanding food. Sadly, all the evening waiters are new and service was not like it used to be (excluding Alex who remains awesome). Several times I would ask for a napkin or utensil they forgot to give me then wait 5 minutes and watch the guys standing at the bar texting on their cell phones totally forgetting.

I think this was because there was nobody (or hardly anyone) eating at the restaurant for some reason and they were board. It used to be a great spot for everyone who was diving to grab a drink or bite to eat and talk about the great day of diving experiences. Over Thanksgiving week, it was a ghost town (both afternoons and evenings) even though all the rooms and boats were booked full???

Onsite dive op was super as usual and they did have two new dive masters, Andy and…and…(damn, I already forgot his name). Both are really great guys and great addition to their staff. The one change I did not like is they started to subcontract boats and captains (what happen to all the BA boats??). Was assigned to the outsiders 3 times and first day we ran out of gas and another day the motor just died. Both events happen in the open water and not good but, not a disaster by any means (we were rescued before sundown...lol) .

Cheers,
John

I have also returned from a recent stay at BA. This was my 5th stay there and there was a couple of changes that I noticed.

The restaurant still has outstanding food. Sadly, all the evening waiters are new and service was not like it used to be (excluding Alex who remains awesome). Several times I would ask for a napkin or utensil they forgot to give me then wait 5 minutes and watch the guys standing at the bar texting on their cell phones totally forgetting.

I think this was because there was nobody (or hardly anyone) eating at the restaurant for some reason and they were board. It used to be a great spot for everyone who was diving to grab a drink or bite to eat and talk about the great day of diving experiences.

Cheers,
John

My experience is that this happens in a restaurant when management is not around enough to properly train and/or have oversight over their staff. It could be something else and we've stayed at BA several times and loved it, but businesses that are service oriented require regular training and oversight to maintain quality. (*perhaps could be said about almost any type of business)

My experience is that this happens in a restaurant when management is not around enough to properly train and/or have oversight over their staff.

My experience is that usually happens when a business is suffering and employees don't see a strong future for their jobs and income level.

We just stayed there and concur with most of the opinions about Blue Angel. I’ll just add that what I liked about the dive operator is they had boats going out at 8am, 9am, 10am and 11 am which is really nice if you want to take your time to enjoy your breakfast or want to sleep in. The 8 am boat was the small fast boat that went to Punta Sur and the later boats typically were larger and slower, but more comfortable.

Also while I really like Blue Angel as a divers’ resort, we were there with a toddler and it’s not the best choice for such a child as the balconies are not child safe nor is the beach sandy with easy bottom for exploring by a child.

Since it has been six years since I've been to BA, the addition of several morning departures is new. How did they handle this? Do you sign-up the night before, do I need to tell them via email before I arrive or.....?

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom