Blue Heron Bridge - Always Interesting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Several of us dove Blue Heron Bridge yesterday, and as usual... we found something interesting. FlDiveJunkie took this picture.

Green_Puffer.jpg

I emailed the picture to AlexB, and he said it was a Green or Carribean Puffer. Definitely not common to Florida waters.

Al

I've seen those guys there...may even have some pic's of them!

Joe

My quick Google search came up that the green and caribbean puffer are the same fish. My first guess, is a checkered puffer, but Alex knows best! LOL

My quick Google search came up that the green and caribbean puffer are the same fish. My first guess, is a checkered puffer, but Alex knows best! LOL

I looked at the checkered in my Reef Fish book, but the colors and pattern are different.

Alex said he has never seen one... check out the puffer on this link.. Sphoeroides greeleyi, Green puffer:

Al

Jenny,

No matter which one it is, you must resist the urge to find it and puff it :)

Al:

Good find. I haven't seen that one there before.

Unfortunately, I didn't find it. Kathleen and FlDiveJunkie found it. I was busy taking pictures of other things when they took the pictures of the puffer. It wasn't until we got home, and I was looking at Kathleen's pictures when I said... "what is that?" Then Debi sent me the picture that I posted asking the same question. I suspected it was a puffer, but I had no idea which one. It wasn't in my Reef Fish book. It's not even in my Fishes of the Carribean database. (I did order the update while I was at DEMA)

I saw the biggest jawfish on Sunday. It's head was over an inch wide. Huge!!!

It was a great dive... but, the viz went south real fast. We went from about 30 feet viz to 5-10 feet. I thought my maske had fogged up. Plus, the water temp went from 80 to 77. Brrr... time for the dry suit.

Al

I have not been on this site ... i need to come check it out ....
Dry suit lol :rofl3:

I have not been on this site ... i need to come check it out ....
Dry suit lol :rofl3:

I'm not kidding about the dry suit. As soon as the water gets cold, I'm in a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom