Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim,

Thanks for showing me around the dive site. Much appreciated. Getting setup right now to go again this am. I'll get some pics up later. Nice pics from your Sealife...

Paul

Glad you had a good time fellow Troll.

I don't spend enough time there, mostly do equipment checks. When my daughter is home however, she insists we hit the site. Always something exciting to see.

Hi,

To the photographer who showed me the purple pipefish today, I just want to say THANKS. You were diving with a white and pink headscarf and Dan Volker told me you had left by the time I surfaced, so I did not get the chance to say thanks in person. Please PM me if you get the chance, as I appreciate your generosity.

Guy

BHB one last time

Well, my time has come to head back to Seattle area. Did my final (3rd) dive at the bridge this am. Unfortunately, it didn't go exactly as planned, my compass gave me grief and decide to stick. Did see some cool critters though!

You trolls enjoy this jewel of a site...muck diving at it's best!

IMG_0322.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0289.jpgIMG_0274.jpg

Is it easy to find a group to latch onto on any given day? This dive looks like it would be a lot of fun and I'll be within an hours drive of where I'll be for business this week, I'm thinking Thursday and/or Friday. I really don't want to drive for an hour and rent tanks only to find my self all geared up longingly staring at the water.

BTW, I like to meander around and enjoy the solitude of the dive almost as much as the scenery. I don't get much quiet time in my life.

Most days there are people when the tide is right. This is a very friendly bunch and most won't mind if you tag along with them, as long as you don't kick up the bottom.

Remember this is 1 hour before to 1/2 hour after high tide only dive. By Thursday and Friday, the high will be around 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm respectively, so you have to have the afternoon off to do it.

That being said, we are forecast for very windy weather this week and high seas. The BHB is always protected because it is in the bay, but the visibility can get really bad, even less than 10 feet.

When you arrive, check with Force-E Divers, or Pura Vida Divers. Both shops are less than 1/2 mile from the bridge and they can get you tanks and let you know the conditions.

Is it easy to find a group to latch onto on any given day? This dive looks like it would be a lot of fun and I'll be within an hours drive of where I'll be for business this week, I'm thinking Thursday and/or Friday. I really don't want to drive for an hour and rent tanks only to find my self all geared up longingly staring at the water.

BTW, I like to meander around and enjoy the solitude of the dive almost as much as the scenery. I don't get much quiet time in my life.
Hi tide Thursday the 20th is 3:04 (15:04) and Friday is 4:04 (16:04) there should be a lot of trolls willing to dive with you. Most like to be in the water about 60 minutes before slack hi tide so you might want to be there around 1 PM Thursday to talk with folks if you haven't made a hook up before Thursday. Lots of us love to meander so you have plenty of folks who share that inclination.

Is it easy to find a group to latch onto on any given day? This dive looks like it would be a lot of fun and I'll be within an hours drive of where I'll be for business this week, I'm thinking Thursday and/or Friday.

While those interested in photography may get into the water quite a bit before high tide there is really not much reason
to get into water much more than 20-30 minutes or so before high tide. Much earlier than that you will have to stay in the flats
just off the beach as the current will still be flowing pretty briskly under the bridges. You will get about 40-50 minutes of slack
tide diving although this can vary. I never do more than about 90 minutes total. I get in about 20 minutes before, 40-50 minutes of
slack tide and 20 minutes wrapping up the dive. The 2 hour plus divers are probably the exception rather than the average. They usually
spend a greater amount of time in the flats before and after their dive than I really care to. And unless your shooting photos 60-90
minutes is plenty of time to enjoy the dive.

This sounds like it may be a lot of fun. If the weather isn't too bad I'm going to do my best to make my way south.

Thanks all and hope to see you there.

Working on our bottom time. Can't get enough! Yesterday 115 mins on an 80. Today, 138 minutes. Maribi on a steel 100 went 156 minutes. Obviously we were the last ones out, but the vis out on the sand and near the carts/wreck stayed pretty good at 20'+, not bad for an hour and a half after hight tide.

Shot for the very first time with my dedicated macro lens. Takes some getting used to but got some nice stuff. The diving today was beautiful. There was one short stretch where the vis was 50' or more, and a school of eagle rays swam through right at that time!! No shots of them because I was going macro, but that beautiful sight was the highlight.

Still, got some great critters. Will be posting pics later this week. I am loving the combo of easy still and video shooting with my new camera, even got some decent macro video of a purple pipefish, a blenny, a red scorpionfish, and an orange beauty that we will need help identifying.

Also saw our first sea robin yesterday! Yeah!!

Was great to see all the trolls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom