Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of scorpionfish - several not fitting the typical Spotted Scorpionfish profile. Plumed Scorpionfish?
View attachment 191565

Every time I've tried to call one a "plumed", the experts tell me it's a barbfish.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 08:43 PM ----------

Not sure, but this may be a juvenile Rosy Razorfish - any other suggestions on this one?:
View attachment 191674

My expert tells me that most all the yellow ones at the bridge are pearlies. I *do* tend to see them in the area that has lots of pearlies. I had assumed that they were a version of the green.

Every time I've tried to call one a "plumed", the experts tell me it's a barbfish.

My expert tells me that most all the yellow ones at the bridge are pearlies. I *do* tend to see them in the area that has lots of pearlies. I had assumed that they were a version of the green.

Same feedback I got - changed to Barbfish. On the Razorfish, I got some feedback that yellow is a juvenile color variant within Greens. Guess I'll go with Xyrichtys sp.

Thanks.

Well based on Sunday's cool critters found and unusual behaviors seen (and despite mixed reviews from that night from more experienced bridge regulars) we tried again Monday night.
At first it seemed doable though the current was really moving
(looked liked the moon jelly express lane).
We stayed out front where we had good luck the previous night but ground swell and growing wind was introducing tons of suspended sand into the already 10 foot vis.
Combined with a tendency to roll you around in the shallows we had no problem making it out before curfew.
Being a video guy I consider all the above "ambience" and shot some cool subjects regardless. :D
My favorite being a large flame box crab out marauding and giving me his "I am Kong" threat moves.
While a fan of most box crabs the color pattern on this type is phenomenal.
I also found what appeared to be a juvenile hound or needle fish near the surface feeding on very tiny silversides. He would explode away whenever my lights got too close.
Hopefully the other brave souls that night gots some good pics, my still photog was not optimistic.
We drove home last night figuring 12 more hours of heavy surf would not improve conditions.
Will relax today and try to get some photos posted.
John

5a2a99b0064301329283005056a9545d

Thanks for the report, John. D2 said basically the same thing. But then Pura Vida reported 15ft and "very doable" this morning. Looks like Cristobal is making things really jump around. It's a long drive from Broward for 5ft viz w surge so I'm passing on tomorrow AM but if anyone dives this week please post conditions.

One pic from yesterday.
jet August 25 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pretty broad range of doable but that is hard to picture.
Sure you made a good choice.
Jenny- that reminds me last night I saw at least 7 different bobbit worms, none interested in my lighting requirements......
J

During my last visit to The Bridge, I was minding my own business, making images of this Banded Jawfish, Opistognatjus macrognathus, as he incubated his clutch of eggs.
Kulick-14-07-16-138.jpg
Then along waddled this Rough Box Crab, Calappa gallus. For a few moments, the crab seemed to try and grab some of the eggs, but the Jawfish, with a quick snap of his head, sent the crab scuttling onward.
Kulick-14-07-16-150.jpg
Polka-Dot Batfish, Ogcocephalus radiatus. I frequently inspire a similar reaction from women.
Kulick-14-07-16-190.jpg
A Reef Mantis, Lysiosquilla glabriuscular, scurrying about on the rubbly bottom
Kulick-14-07-16-248.jpg
A Blue Crab, Callinectes sp. makes a quick meal of this Red-Tipped Fireworm, Choleia viridis.
Kulick-14-07-16-294.jpg

IMG_6473.jpgDecent viz today at BHB--started at 15 ft or so maybe due to some foot dragging! We went east and by the time we were by the easternmost snorkel trail we had blue water and 25 ft or so, some estimated more! Then it got better after tide changed, amazingly enough! Go waaaay early tomorrow if you insist upon subjecting yourselves to the mass of humanity!

The Diva found this Ragged Seahare and graciously shared, sorta looked like a Striated Frogfish from a distance. This one is about 3-4 inches long. The book sez they are rare in FL, but I expect I will hear from others that they see'em allatime at the bridge!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom