Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went yesterday. About 15-20 very divable. Did beach dive today south of dania pier maybe 5 feet viz.

I'm heart-broken. . . :crying2:

This one wasn't swimming and was *very* well camouflaged.

IMG_5408a.jpg

I met Jenny and the crusty dude for a dawn dive this morning. Vis was a milky, greenish 10-15 ft and water temp 75.

Good Morning Bedhead!!
DSC01120 copy.jpg

High capacity closures?

Arrived at the bridge yesterday around 4:30pm and there was a police car barring the way. The officer said he wasn’t letting anyone in for a couple hours because there was insufficient parking. My dive buddy pleaded that we just be let in to drop our gear and then I’d park elsewhere and walk in, and finally another officer turned up and said to let us in. Have any of you ever had this happen before? Wondering if I should avoid making the trek on a Sunday afternoon in the future? There were half a dozen spots at least so I’m not sure what was going on. Despite set back and limited vis it turned out to be a great dive, saw my first long armed octopus and a burrowing brittle star out and about, usually just see one teasing arm at a time.
burrowingbrittlestar.jpglongarm2.jpglongarm1.jpg

If one ever wonders why seahorses are so hard to find...
935105_10151410202723531_838932424_n.jpg

saw my first long armed octopus and a burrowing brittle star out and about, usually just see one teasing arm at a time.
View attachment 154047

Had no idea that such a long armed brittle star existed. Cool!

Arrived at the bridge yesterday around 4:30pm and there was a police car barring the way. The officer said he wasn’t letting anyone in for a couple hours because there was insufficient parking. My dive buddy pleaded that we just be let in to drop our gear and then I’d park elsewhere and walk in, and finally another officer turned up and said to let us in. Have any of you ever had this happen before? Wondering if I should avoid making the trek on a Sunday afternoon in the future? There were half a dozen spots at least so I’m not sure what was going on. Despite set back and limited vis it turned out to be a great dive, saw my first long armed octopus and a burrowing brittle star out and about, usually just see one teasing arm at a time.
View attachment 154047View attachment 154048View attachment 154049

Those look really small. Where did you see them? When/where are they most likely to be seen? And how small are they?

The first one, the brittle star might be 2ft across, but is usually hidden and you might only find a couple inches of one arm at any given time.
The octo in that photo is probably upwards of 18" when stretched out.. As photographed.. look in the sand. :)

View attachment 154047View attachment 154048View attachment 154049

interesting.
it looks like it is doing mimicking behavior similar to the mimic octo (flounde/ray imitation?)

Scuba Jenny is correct :) the brittle star was several feet across it seemed like each arm was a least 1.5 feet. I see single arms poking out a few inches all the time but this is the first time I saw the whole critter. The longarm octopus, the mantle/body about 4-6 inches and the arms seemed incredibly long again, I would have thought at least 2 feet, but I have a tendency to overestimate, this is the only one I've seen, it was just before dusk near the swimming area.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2013 at 11:16 PM ----------

Very cool! A quick internet search indicated that they are related to the mimic octopus. It did kind of do the flounder, here’s a link to my rough little video clip from my mini sealife. Perhaps it was even impersonating the brittle stars when it burrys and throws its arms out, or maybe that is a substrate mimic. Atlantic Longarm Octopus - YouTube
For the record, I didn’t touch it or harass it in any way (well, not beyond typical heavy-breathing-diver-stalking behavior , I suppose that would creep me out to the point of pretending to be a clump of algae too).

interesting.
it looks like it is doing mimicking behavior similar to the mimic octo (flounde/ray imitation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom