Question Blue Hole at Santa Rosa NM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryankwatts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My wife and I are completing our Open Water Dives at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa NM at the end of April. Could anyone provide information on an appropriate thickness of wetsuit for that particular location? I am reading that the water temperature is around 60 degrees F. Thank you.

It was 65 *F when I was there in Sept. It's fed from an underground aquifer, so expect similar year-round. I wore a 7mm and hood, and we would take breaks when people started to shiver.

It was 65 *F when I was there in Sept. It's fed from an underground aquifer, so expect similar year-round. I wore a 7mm and hood, and we would take breaks when people started to shiver.
Was anyone in your group wearing a 5mm with a hood? This is what we were planning on wearing. Thanks.

No 5mms in the group. I think the minimum time by standards to count as a dive is 20 mins. If you can rent a 7mm, I think you will have a better experience.

ETA: If using the 5mm, I strongly recommend a hood.

Do you have access to a hot tub whose heater can be turned off? Test out the 65* water in your 5mm. Ensure your collar stays submerged. The lack of activity partially simulates the fact your head isn't submerged. Ideally, you would have a scuba tank/regulator to use.

Do you have access to a hot tub whose heater can be turned off? Test out the 65* water in your 5mm. Ensure your collar stays submerged. The lack of activity partially simulates the fact your head isn't submerged. Ideally, you would have a scuba tank/regulator to use.
Great information. Thank you.

I dive Blue Hole in Santa Rosa regularly. 7mm, Hood, Gloves. Some of my buddies wear the same and say they're cold, but my suit is fitted properly and I can dive it all day. If you go in the dead of winter when it's freezing top side, the water is actually a relief! Save yourself a little grief and rent a 7mil.

You definitely want a 7mm and hood. If you are doing your OW dives with a dive operator who goes there regularly, they should be prepared to provide that. I worked for two different shops who taught there, and 7mm suit rental was included in the course price.

I use a drysuit when I dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom