Blue Hole update 7/2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove Blue Hole solo on the way home from FL last Saturday evening. When I say Solo, I mean SOLO! I had the entire place to myself, and there had been only 2 other groups of divers there all day according to Stella.

The Vis was great, but oddly enough the water was kinda milky. However I could easily see the Grate from 20', so the vis was excellent especially as I was diving in the early evening, so in little sunlight.

Wow, has the bottom changed. I just don't know how to describe how different it is. There is a huge opening behind the grate, the gravestones are moved. I saw very few fish, maybe a half a dozen GF, and a single Parana. There are no Crawdads, or at least none alive. I saw the bodies of a LOT of dead dads. The entire sides of the rock is covered in what looks like this silty hanging moss, and the whole HOLE is covered in a think layer of silt. Our Clown Mariachi Band is in tact as are a lot of the STUFF that divers have contributed. I did not however see other things like the Wedding site, and it looks like most anything plastic has been removed.

I talked with Stella for a while about the new construction. She will be attending a council meeting this week where she will learn a lot more about the plans. Right now everything is up in the air as to if she will be able to keep a temporary shop open for air fills, etc. My advice is that if you are going to the Hole, either contact her in advance, or bring what you need.

She also told me about some long term plans that sound none too thrilling, for example the parking is to be moved a long way from the Hole, and people will be required to go through the visitors center for entrance, and carry their gear. That would be a true bonehead move on the part of SantaRosa, so let's hope these long term plans loose funding!

I hope there are some RMO member here to read this. I'll move it to the REAL SB once it has been brought back from the Dead.

RonFrank:
... for example the parking is to be moved a long way from the Hole, and people will be required to go through the visitors center for entrance, and carry their gear. That would be a true bonehead move on the part of SantaRosa, so let's hope these long term plans loose funding!

Hi Ron. That really would be a bonehead move, the divers there live out of their cars. When it is busy we have all seen what 20-40 students looks like when they all try to get into BH at the same time... now we'll have them all lined up just trying to get in the door. They are definitely not thinking that one through. Based on what I've heard/read, I bet they were thinking they could control access and verify payment that way, they are probably going to have to come up with a better plan.

You're right!! The bottom has some major changes. It looked pretty good for us this weekend. I was out with two others and the instructor for our SSI Tech XR Instructor class and we spent plenty of time underwater Friday and Sat, (4.5hours). The milky has changed and the water was pretty nice, especially on Friday. Saturday when the other divers started showing it got stirred up again, but that's pretty normal. Depth isn't much different, I showed 83ffw at the grate. But its more flat at the bottom rather than the large divots left after the dredging last year.

There is a fairly large opening behind the grate/snorkel that is pushing water out as well as some new smaller holes in the bottom towards the center. They have a huge pile of concrete and rocks that were pulled out that is sitting to the West of Stella's fill station.

Stella told me that the planned meeting that Ron spoke of was canceled, so who knows what's going on there. She did mentioned that they were planning on setting up a "temporary" fill station close to the restrooms, near the electrical drop that would be used in the interim.

Hope the whole parking and entry discussion will be tempered with sane and logical people!!

BTW, Glad to see SB back on line!! Hope all of you are well!! How was your trip Ron?

Fill station near the restrooms? That's gonna be some yummy air! :D

thanks for the updates! :D
We still haven't made it over since the dredging started. I hope to get over for a day soon to just get wet. Right now we are dreaming of Calif diving and thinking of doing a quicky trip, drive over and dive one day then drive back. Crazy I know, but we are seriously jonesing for kelp. :D

robint

jchull:
Fill station near the restrooms? That's gonna be some yummy air! :D

Oh, come on they're not THAT bad......... :rofl3:

robint:
thanks for the updates! :D
We still haven't made it over since the dredging started. I hope to get over for a day soon to just get wet. Right now we are dreaming of Calif diving and thinking of doing a quicky trip, drive over and dive one day then drive back. Crazy I know, but we are seriously jonesing for kelp. :D

robint

There's a phase you don't see very often........:eyebrow:

Stella says that a lot of dead fish floated to the top during dredging. Was at Blue Hole Friday and today. Did 5 dives, only saw about 4 fish the whole time. Ecological disaster.
But, I did finish my Divemaster rating.

ABQdiver:
Oh, come on they're not THAT bad......... :rofl3:
The restrooms get trashed - by the locals, I guess - on a regular basis.

Killed off most of the fish, did they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom