Bluewater and Smith Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nola- found any type of structures yet? When are you gonna be back up at Smith lake?

IronHead I can pick you up a map no problem they are like 6-7 bucks. Nope no structures yet Bnow, hopefully soon. We had fun diving this weekend. Only made one 35 min dive in the same spot as always. It was a short weekend.

I am actually having to do something around home this weekend NOLA, lol. Wish I could go with you guys. BTW, what are the chances of you grabbing me one of those maps you have? You guys be safe, and have fun!

You can get one version of the map free from the Alabama Power website. It's a pretty decent map, but not the best one.

in my opinion, the ones they sell at Bait Store and Walmart are much better. They come in a big ziplog bag and are waterproof material. I think these are the Carto-Craft brand maps. They un about $6-8 bucks or so as noladiver said.

The reason that it's good to get them at bait stores and walmart is that they put these places on the maps in some agreement to get the stores to sell them.

Found a map at Marks in B'ham. Hopefully soon I can put it to good use.

How high is the lake level compared to last summer? I think when we went (late sept) it was about 15ft below full pool. I know of at least one structure that we happened across that would be submereged if the levels were at least 10 ft higher than it was, but it wouldn't be much to see. Just a small square of rocks stacked about knee high. One thing you might try is using the depth/fish finder on a boat and doing a criss cross pattern aroung GPS coordinates off the map, and watching for rises and falls in the contours.

on today, June 9th, Smith Lake is at 509.5 ft (MSL). Full pool is 510 ft (MSL). So it's basically at full pool. Last year at this time it was only down a couple fee. maybe at 506ft or 507ft this time of year.

Sept 2007, it ran between 493 and 495 feet. It was down below normal last year, but they also lower the lake every year starting in July.... last year it just got real low due to the drought.

Back
Top Bottom