Boat bench

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

savantblanc

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to search for this a couple of ways, maybe I'm using the wrong words...

So, if anybody remembers an old thread, toss me a link if you wouldn't mind.

I recently purchased a 19' Cuddy cabin to outfit as a dive boat, and I've been brainstorming ways to make the tank benches. I was wondering what designs others have come up with. So far, I have a sturdy design for a freestanding bench, but the tankrack portion (specifically the choice of uprights & purlins) & method of developing a well-area leaves me unsatisfied. So far, my plan is to use 2" sch.80 pvc as legs, and cap them w/snap drains solvent-welded after bolting one end to the floor & the other end to 5/4x6" cleats that I'd secure trex decking to as a bench top. I'd cross-brace the legs w/ tees & crosses, but, I don't know if 3 or 4 sets would be strong enough to brace 6 tanks in light chop. My only idea to make the purlins for the tank saddles is to bolt PT 5/4" through the centers, but that doesn't give me much bearing surface. My natural inclination is weld the whole thing outta steel or aluminum but I assume some enterprising individual came up w/ a clever, non-metallic homebrew alternative method by now.

Why not just use the Roll Control brackets like many people do? Not really understanding what you are trying to do.

There is no such thing as light chop in a 19 foot boat--lol.

N

I second the motion to check out the Roll Control brackets.

Roll Control System - Diving, Fishing, Boating Accessories

And I have a 17' boat. There is such a thing as light chop.

Chuck

:shakehead: We are not on continuous wave where articles on the minutia of bow lifting props are authored by an English teacher and taken as gospel. We were obviously tongue in cheek.

Perhaps if there were a picture of the OPs cuddy cabin boat it would be easier to imagine what you are trying to accomplish. I doubt PVC is a solution for anything other than a model for conceptual purposes and fit. If you are trying to keep the gunwales clear for egress that is understandable.

N

I actually am trying to keep the gunwales clear, but not for egress. The contraption is destined for the port side, and boarding access is restricted to a 3' area near the stern. I specifically wanted to keep it bottom-mounted because the boat has high freeboard and the tanks would have to be mounted so high to catch the roll-control brackets that the bench wouldn't be practical.

I also have already installed white neon lighting tucked under the high gunwales to provide glare-free indirect lighting to make it easier to find gear during twilight hours. If the tanks were mounted all the way up to the gunwales, all of the light would be obscured.

After consideration, I've decided to make a flat rack and drop the idea of having an attached bench altogether. My boat is CG rated for 6, and 3 average divers + skipper will max that out easily. So, in the interest of stability, I decided to lower the boats center of gravity, by bracing the tanks on low horizontal PVC saddles. I have room for <7> 80's, and we can just throw our gear on top of the tanks.

Laying them down will certainly reduce the amount of list.

I live in upstate NY and dive in the great lakes, I made benches for my 23' trophy out of pressure treated lumber, and painted them. They kind of resemble a park bench. They bolt to the gunnel for eqasy removal. Granted we have a short season here and do not have salt water to worry about, but the work very well.

Dan

Attachments

• misc 130.jpg
    misc 130.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 2,074
we built two of these for our Dive Team Boat. it was cheap and had both of them done in half a day once we secured the aluminum angle pieces we used on it.

Attachments

• porters pictures 007.jpg
    porters pictures 007.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 1,461
  • porters pictures 008.jpg
    porters pictures 008.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 885
  • porters pictures 010.jpg
    porters pictures 010.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 934
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back