Boat Ramp at Windy Point, Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Boat Ramp at Windy Point, Lake Travis

Awhile back ago we had a thread concerning this topic.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33145&highlight=boat+ramp+and+lake+travis

This kinda droped off the radar scope after much discusion and lots of info from Richard of Windy Pt (Barstows) I got the chance to meet Richard and his family the other day while diving at Windy pt. They were all nice and folks and friendly. I happen to mention about the Board to him so thought I would bring this thread back up again.

I have to say while I was diving I never saw any launches let alone the boat ramp (still not sure where it's at). Boat traffic appeared to be normal from what I remembered from past visits. So from a diving aspect I would say that the Folks at Windy Pt are still concerned for the divers and tring to look out out for us.

PS

Dee - Richard was asking about you. Appears that you made a good positive impact on him even thought he has never met you in person. He mentioned that he really like the questions you asked as it gave him the chance to respond and help us understand the politics behind this.

Geek:)

You didn't see the ramp?!?!

Did you go to the public side? Bob Wentz park? That's where it is. It's not screwing things up on Barstow's property; it's screwing up the public park.

You cannot miss the ramp. Where the road ends, look straight ahead to the water's edge, slightly left. There it is, along with the sign saying it's not for use by the park's visitors, or words to that effect.

On a busy day, the jetski traffic going back and forth to it is a nuisance.

Nup, I didn't dive the public side and your right the diving at Barstows doesn't appear to be impacted. Now at the entrance I did see there sign for rentals and boat lanches.

This is where the politics of the issue come at hand about how the LARC built the ramp, then made a rule so Barstows has to use the ramp and only that ramp. I did get the impression that neither Richard nor his father liked the way things went as regards to the selection of the Location and how the ramp got built. Then again from what I remeber this was LARC's doing not the Barstows and the LARC is responsible for the public side. This impacts the Barstows ability to operate as well. Could be that since I spoke to Richard for a few mins that he may drop back by the board to help explain again. You might want to read over the orginal thread.

Geek

Richard explained his position well in the original thread. It would be nice if the LCRA would explain theirs. Frankly, I wish the county would just condemn the easement, pay the man fairly for it, and keep the ramp out of the public park, because it absolutely does not belong there and degrades the public park and the experience of its visitors.

LCRA and Travis County Parks representatives on this matter.
Basically, I got non-answers and buck-passing in reply to my questions about the ramp siting process.

Legalities of the easement issue aside, the ramp is a nuisance and an eyesore. But more importantly, it's a hazard to park users.

A large tractor pulling a trailer is used to transport the jetskis to the water and on occassion another vehicle also accompanies the tractor/trailer to the water. This area of the beach is heavily used by swimmers on most weekends...there really isn't a worse place that the authorities could have selected for introducing vehicle/jetski/boat traffic.

I don't know who won the legal skirmish, but I know who lost in the practical sense...park users. Way to go, bureaucrats.

Maybe i am wrong but if its not messing with divers , and i dive
barstows alot let it be ,just pat 5 dollars more get you air there and dive .there is nothing that says you have to stay in barstows boundaries ,i and sscottsmith have been around the point starting at barstows with no probs from jet skis or boats .
I dont see a prob here ,someone tell me what i am missing
please thanks steve

obvious confusion, we're discussing impacts from the construction of the ramp to users of the Bob Wentz LCRA park, not those at Barstow's.

Your suggestion to just 'let it be' and instead use the private property park property doesn't resolve anything for those wanting to patronize the LCRA park.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
......Dee - Richard was asking about you. Appears that you made a good positive impact on him even thought he has never met you in person. He mentioned that he really like the questions you asked as it gave him the chance to respond and help us understand the politics behind this.

Geek:)

He knows me plenty well as Davida, not Dee. He should at least, I spent almost every weekend there a couple summers ago.

I was just asking what I needed clarification for. I hope he continues to pop in and visit with us.

Dee,

Could be that he isn't aware that "Dee" and "Davida" are one and the same. He asked who "Dee" was and I talked about you and Doug, mentioned that you were avid, concerned divers but now that I think about it I never gave him your full names. I didn't spend much time, just a few min. He made a comment about you asking all the right questions and they were well thought out.

Next time I get to Austin I'll have to check out the public side. I assume most folks dive at Barstows so didn't think much about it.

I do have to say one thing, I think Twin lakes has bigger fish. I spent a good 20 min @ 65-70 ft' range looking along the edge hopeing to see some big cats or something and didn't see a one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom