Boat Sank, PLB did not send signal, man found by passing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, that's fine. I was just addressing your erroneous claim...

I've made a lot of errors, but in this particular situation you were addressing someone else's claim, not mine. :)

MT600G - 406MHz GPS EPIRB - Manual Activation | GME

Doesn't look self releasing.

Quick release mounting bracket. Easy to deploy
Saved 4 guys I know crossing the Wide Bay Bar a couple of years ago , it was out of hours of the radio room for the Volunteer Marine Rescue, , if they can do it anyone can.
Dumb as rocks, and it would be a miracle if one of them was sober enough to be a "Skipper" [very loose term for some] life jackets on? That I don't know.
The boat was saved, motor 'swamped', lost all their fishing gear, mobile phones ,marine radio 'stuffed' They were in the water for some time, etc
And they got away with it.
Edit: And no other boats were in the area

I see that now, Cirdan. Sorry

Because some of us are in 5m boats, where am I going to put an EPIRB?

PLBs are legal in Australia.
If it is too small to put an EPIRB on, then it is probably too small to be taking that far off shore where you legally require one or really need one. My view as a Marine Rescue volunteer who has to rescue small boats who are way to far out to sea when they get into trouble.

If it is too small to put an EPIRB on, then it is probably too small to be taking that far off shore where you legally require one or really need one. My view as a Marine Rescue volunteer who has to rescue small boats who are way to far out to sea when they get into trouble.
I understand your point but “small” boats have crossed oceans. It’s about seaworthiness and the seamanship of its skipper, both of which are seriously lacking concerning the boat and the skipper described by the OP. A PLB is a very poor substitute for good seamanship and a wellfound boat.

there is no legal obligation to have an EPIRB or PLB on a private vessel at all.

80miles out in FL is actually fairly common, heck its 10miles out in some places just to get past snorkeling depth. But its also FL so you have really overly optimistic expectations here. At least he wasnt trying to outrun a hurricane or something much more "Florida Man"

there is no legal obligation to have an EPIRB or PLB on a private vessel at all.

80miles out in FL is actually fairly common, heck its 10miles out in some places just to get past snorkeling depth. But its also FL so you have really overly optimistic expectations here. At least he wasnt trying to outrun a hurricane or something much more "Florida Man"
In New South Wales there is!

And that's on the west coast, where they take pontoon boats out into the gulf.

On the east coast here some boats have trouble getting out of the inlets...

Back
Top Bottom