Boat sinking at Pennyroyal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, just got back from Pennyroyal. They sunk the 40' cabin cruiser today. There was about 20 divers & about 10- 15 for surface support. I didn't get to make a dive (unless you want to count a 2min., 12' buoyancy check):D . I floated for about an hour in 43 degree water, waiting for the boat to sink, until I got so cold I had to get out (I'm such a cold water wussie):shakehead . Some of the guys were in the water for about 3hrs:11: , how they did it, I couldn't guess. No one was allowed to go down ahead of the boat for safety reasons, so we all floated until they threw some 100- 150# rocks into it. Just before the boat went down, I finally lost all feeling in my feet & hands & was shivering uncontrollably, so had to get out. I got a lot of surface pictures (yet to be developed) & will post them when I get a chance. I was hoping to get some underwater pictures, but it wasn't to be. The vis wasn't all that great either, only about 15' at best & from what I was told didn't get any better at the bottom, so it apears that pictures wouldn't have turned out very well anyway. The boat is in 96' of water right off the wall near the gear set- up area. All in all the sinking went very safely & smoothly, it was just very slow. If I had been able to make the dive right away, I would have been fine, but just floating around doing nothing I froze my tail feathers off. Well now I guess I'll have to dive the boat soon, so I can show it off to you guys when you come.

Have you ever used any heating pad inside of the undergarment?

You will sweat.... :wink:

No I haven't. I haven't heard of any that would be safe if the suit floods (mine didn't, but you never know). I don't know if it would have helped my feet any (my hands & head were in wet suit gloves & hood).

Thanks for the update Tammy.

It is amazing how long it takes to sink a boat. It sounds like an ideal location
and depth. I can't wait to make the trip down this summer!

Sounds like a pretty cool dive. I'm looking forward to getting down there this season.

Darn 96' think the card cops would slap me in irons if by depth guage and computer were off 30'

Yeah, they planned to sink it deep. There's lots to see on the shallow end (bus helicopter,RV, lots of boats & stuff), but there really isn't much in the deep end, so they sunk it there. Right now they're keeping stuff up next to the wall, it'll be nice once they start sinking stuff out in the middle of the deep end. It'll give divers wanting to go 100+' something to look at besides piles of rocks:D .

tstormwarning:
No I haven't. I haven't heard of any that would be safe if the suit floods (mine didn't, but you never know). I don't know if it would have helped my feet any (my hands & head were in wet suit gloves & hood).

Mine (pocket heater) works great. There is no flame or electric circuit. If the suit floods, it dies immediately. And, it is cheap......:D

I am wearing the neoprene socks and fleece socks.. It toasted my feet in 39 degree water.

PADI Knight:
Darn 96' think the card cops would slap me in irons if by depth guage and computer were off 30'

Luke, use the force! I am not your father, jury is still out on Anna's baby though!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom