Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scSCUBA

Reaction score
I've got a friend here at work who has a 32' Sea Ray. It's not specifically set up for diving. What I'm wondering, is what would make a boat suitable for diving?

If ya'll think his boat would work, I could ask him if he take us out occassionally. He probably would only want to do rivers, or intercoastal stuff. He doesn't want to take it out to the Atlantic. But, he's talking about getting a 43'ish cat next year that he wouldn't mind taking out to sea.

Don't know if he'd even be willing, but for the Charleston area, it might be an option.

His current boate uses 28 gal/hr.

What are ya'lls thoughts?

Boat suitable for diving.

Sea/water worthy
Dependable and in good operating condition
Working radio/CB and fire extinguisher
Good strong anchor and anchor line
Place for divers to ride with a place for gear
Ladder for exiting the water

We can provide
Gas, GPS and coordinates, depth finder, dive flag, life preservers, first aid kit, dive gear and fun

I think that covers it. LOL R

Heck yeah!

What I need in a boat: It has to run and it has to hold the water out. :D

It's a bonus if the boat's big enough to take offshore, which starts at about 24' on calm days. Deep vee hulls do better than "W" hulls or flats, because they resist choppy waters better.

Charleston offshore typically sees 2.5' to 3' seas... Even on clear days. If your buddy doesn't want to go offshore, hey, it's his boat... But I can't see a reason, other than the fact that the waters are a bit choppier. I've been running the local rivers on and off for years and have never had a problem.

If his boat has a single engine, then a good radio or buddy-boat would be important, even if his boat's in good repair. Twin engines don't negate the need for these things, but the need is definitely reduced.

But hey, any boat at all is a wonderful thing... We'll take anything we can get!

I'm sure your buddy is familiar with DNR regulations regarding chartering. It's my understanding that if there's paying customers, then a charter license is required. However, we can sorta skirt that by simply paying for all of the expenses such as gas, maintenance, dock fees, etc. What he can't legally do is profit from the situation - unless he's willing to go through the legalities of getting a charter license - which I understand is quite easy for a "six pack" (no more than six divers).

At any rate, the bottom line is that we'd love to have the opportunity to go out with anyone willing to take us... And we can definitely pay the expenses and do what we can to say "thanks." :)

Put a date on it, man... We'll be there. :D

I'll check w/him if he'd be open to the idea. Taking us out on his boat. It's a FANTASTIC boat. Fridge, 2 levels, Head, Color GPS system. I assume radio (he's very cautious). I'm sure he'd want to meet everyone first just to size everyone up. :wink:

Right now another one of my co-workers is living on the boat during the week. She goes home to Myrtle Beach for the weekend, so that's when we'd have to schedule something.

When I get a chance, I'll ask him and get back to everyone. We can usually take out 6 - 8 people (comfortably) when we go out. But for diving, I'd say 4 - 6 would be the limit just for the extra gear and stuff.

scSCUBA once bubbled...
I'll check w/him if he'd be open to the idea. Taking us out on his boat. It's a FANTASTIC boat. Fridge, 2 levels, Head, Color GPS system. I assume radio (he's very cautious). I'm sure he'd want to meet everyone first just to size everyone up. :wink:

Totally understandable. I would, too.

RavenC and I are both PADI OW and AOW trained, CPR certified, and are Rescue certified. I serve now and then on the Beaufort chapter of the Marine Rescue Squadron.

Both of us are prior diver volunteers at the SC Aquarium in Charleston.

I am DIR trained, RavenC has adopted the philosophies, but hasn't yet completed the course.

Between the two of us, we've got about 300-350 dives, many of which have been in local high-current blackwater.

We are both boat owners and have many years of experience on the local waters.

Please let him know that information so that he can gain some comfort in this whole thing... I think *I* would be a little weird about taking someone I don't know out on the rivers.

Right now another one of my co-workers is living on the boat during the week. She goes home to Myrtle Beach for the weekend, so that's when we'd have to schedule something.

That's too cool.

The weekends is the only time we have anyway.

When I talk to my friend...

Is there any good diving in the intercoastal? I know he's taken the boat down to Beufort and up to Myrtle Beach from Charleston.
Or, would it be better to head up one of the rivers?

Any inland diving is going to be zero vis, and so I haven't found a significant difference between dive sites at all. You jump in, you feel wet and under pressure... But can't tell anything else. :)

Because of this, I like to ensure that I'm diving over a fossil bed or something when I dive anywhere inland. It makes it all worthwhile to be finding teeth and artifacts.

I have a couple of favorite spots here, but don't know where the ones are in Charleston. Do you? If so, we could do that dive pretty easily...

I would think that doing some artifact diving around Ft. Sumter would be awesome... Know of any wrecks out there?

I'm unfamiliar with Charlestons diving at all. Well I'm not too familiar with ANYTHING Charleston. I just moved here a couple years ago so, I'm still learning what's what and where :)

You volunteered at the Aquarium? How do you sign up to do that?

RavenC and I both volunteered there. It's a way-cool "gig" and I highly recommend it.

Signing up is simple... Call the Aquarium and tell them you're a local diver interested in volunteering. They'll take you in for an orientation, show you all the "behind the scenes" stuff and introduce you to the massive 42 foot deep "Giant Ocean Tank" (complete with sharks, morays, jacks, mahi, loggerheads, puffers... The works). By the way, RavenC and I have pictures from the Aquarium on the website. Go to "Look" and then "Our Latest Pictures." Starting about halfway down the page, you'll see lots of great photos from the Aquarium.

If you like what you see at the Aquarium and they like/need you, then you'll go through a series of paperwork and instruction and a few months later you'll be on the "other" side of the glass, looking at the people. :)

It's very cool, and makes for a terrific place to keep your dive skills honed all winter - for free. :) I highly recommend it.

Minimum requirements to apply for the postion, I believe are AOW and 20 dives... If I'm not mistaken. Please tell Arnold that SeaJay and Robyn from Beaufort miss the Aquarium. :)

Guess I better get Diving! And sign up for AOW.

Any recommendation for reasonably 'local' AOW classes?

Charleston Suba is 175 Plus dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom