Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charleston Scuba's not known for their excellent prices. They are, however, very good, and I would recommend their education.

There are several other shops up there in Charleston as well, but I'm afraid I don't have any experience with them, and can't make any recommendations.

Well, it is, but I'm more interested in making sure the instructor is good. So, you think their instructors are pretty good.

I mean, they're not GUE or anything... But yeah, they'd be who I'd recommend locally.

Hey guys (and gals), just reading some of your interesting posts and thought I might add my 2 cents worth. I've actually thought about buying a 32-38 foot SeaRay or Cruisers boat for my personal use and think they could make an excellent "personal" dive platform as long as you were able to protect the fiberglass from the dive equipment... by proper securing and so forth. If it were "my" boat, I would add proper tank racks and have some thick rubber matting to shield the deck and extra bungies to tie everything down properly. I would just cringe every time I heard a tank hit the fiberglass... As far as a dive ladder, a sturdy one would be great but you can always take your gear off in the water and utilize help from someone already in the boat for easier re-entry.

From my divemaster travels, we have seen many "weekend warriors" offshore... some doing great, others ending up needing assistance due unforeseen problems. If your going to go offshore, you have to prepare properly. Even if it's flat calm, conditions can change quickly as many of you know from being 15, 20, or even 30 miles offshore. (where you typically have to go for the best dives...) Additionally, if you're going to be visiting sites that are frequented by commercial operators you may want to time your dives accordingly or be sure you can "hook up" near the outer ends of the wreck or in the middle so as to allow commercial dive operators room. If other dive boats are in the area when you arrive to a site, you can always make a quick call on channel 16 (or local commercial chanel for the area) to convey your intentions and get any advice from a captain that's already there. We have had several occasions when a private vessel had hooked in, in such a way, that we were not able to hook up... and had to deal with a boat load of angry "paying" customers who wanted this particular site. Obviously when it comes to wreck diving; it is First Come, First Serve... but be responsible and courteous to others that may also show up. There's typically plenty of room for several vessels if coordinated properly.

Additional suggestions to what RavenC mentioned would be a properly spaced hang line (at a depth of 15 feet) running from stern to the bow anchor line that can be dropped in after anchoring. This can be used to complete safety stops as well as help you get to and from the anchor line if there happens to be current. I would also suggest hanging an extra tank near the stern at 15 feet just in case someone needs extra air for the safety stops... It's been my experience that some private groups may tend to over extend bottom times, etc... due to the rush of having such independence and the extra air could come in handy.

At any rate, hope I didn't get too long winded. Happy and safe diving to all.

Thanks for the info.

My friend actually went to a boat show earlier this week to look for a live aboard cat. He's not back in town yet, so I haven't had an opportunity to talk to him about the boat yet.

Usual disclaimers.

My friend actually would LIKE to go out into the ocean with the boat. It's his wife that gets sick, so he keeps it in the intercoastal for her.

SO, Looks like we could put together a small group for a Satuday with him too.

That would be awesome.

Next time you talk to him, please communicate to him our appreciation.

Do you think he'd be willing to take out a couple of us (maybe 4?) on the 1st or the 8th or 9th?

I know of literally hundreds of great dives right offshore of Charleston.

I'll talk to him.

He want to know about the area. Needs info for anchor (how long). I don't think he's got a ladder though. It's been a couple months since I've been on it. I'll check to see if he's got a ladder.

We could probably take 5 or 6 at most. The only thing I'm worried about is the tanks getting loose and breaking fiberglass. He's going to sell this boat this spring and get a 43' cat. THat could be interesting diving. At least from a cost point of view...no fuel. Or at least minimal fuel:wink:

scSCUBA once bubbled...
I'll talk to him.

He want to know about the area.

I've got tons of information on the site... If you point him there, tell him to click on "Dive" and then "Places to Dive." There's so many GPS coordinates I can't count. It's been a project of mine ongoing for more than three years.

If he's asking about depths, tell him that there are some shallow areas offshore that extend out a mile or more, and can be dangerous, especially at low tide. Of course, the intercoastal is the same way, too. I'm sure that he's got plenty of charts. Most people with a boat that size have charts built right into their GPS's, and we've found them to be dependable.

We know offshore Charleston and Beaufort both well. Our furthest dive site is 30 miles offshore of Charleston, but we've never been there - we've simply never bothered to go offshore that far, since there's so much great stuff closer. Our furthest dive site here in Beaufort is 17 miles from land.

Currents in the area inland can be fierce... Offshore, I've never seen more than 1/2 knot.

Seas are typically about 3 feet or less, but we've dived in 6 foot swells in smaller boats with no problems.

The max depth of our favorite dive sites here is about 120'... With most of the best dive sites being in the 70' range. Water temps in the summer can be in the mid-90's, and in the wintertime can be as low as 50*. Most of the year, though, water temperature hovers between 70* and 75*.

Needs info for anchor (how long).

The boats we've been on before typically have 300' of line on a single anchor, but I've never seen them deploy more than 200' of line. With light currents and a sandy bottom offshore, just about any anchor will do.

When we're done diving, I always use a lift bag on the anchor - it not only saves someone a lot of hard work pulling it up from those depths (or saves the wear and tear on the machine that does it) but also prevents the possibility of a snag on the wreck on the way up.

I don't think he's got a ladder though. It's been a couple months since I've been on it. I'll check to see if he's got a ladder.

It's a non-issue. We've climbed onboard a boat many times walking up the outdrive. Or... We'll buy him a ladder. :) Charter boats, for a half day around here run in the $600 range. If he's cool enough to do us the favor of taking some of us out, I will make darn sure that he's taken care of.

Unless he's got a professional charter's license, the law prevents us from being able to pay him... But we can show our appreciation in other ways.

We could probably take 5 or 6 at most. The only thing I'm worried about is the tanks getting loose and breaking fiberglass. He's going to sell this boat this spring and get a 43' cat. THat could be interesting diving. At least from a cost point of view...no fuel. Or at least minimal fuel:wink:

Wow. I hope I'm not sounding desperate, but... Man, we really would love to do what we can to ensure that he's taken care of.

Re: Breaking fiberglass: What we've found is a good thing to do on a boat with no facilities for tanks is to bring with us your standard, everyday tie-down straps. We build a "pyramid" of tanks on their sides, three high, and secure them in that configuration with a pair of tie-downs. They don't move and are safe for both the boat and passengers.

Where would the boat leave from? That helps in planning dives. R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom