Bob Brayman's International Diving Career Institute at Hall's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, if not, sorry

My 22 year old son, who recently got his OW certification, is thinking of making a career of diving (I'm just glad he's finally thinking of a career!!) Anyway, while I am sure it is a more expensive route to go thru a full time "Scuba School" than doing it part time thru our LDS (Scuba Emporium in Chicago), for a variety of reason we are leaning toward a more intensive program that a full-time school would provide.

The point of all this is, we are looking for any direct feedback about the school listed in the subject line?? Specifically, what is the quality of their program? How does it compare to other "full time programs" out there? I would appreciate any input that previous students may have or feedback from dive professionals who has dealt with students of this school (or others)

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

and let him do it locally with a LDS. I am not going to comment on the zero to hero syndrome, I am sure other will have plenty to say about that. What I do think is that in order to be a viable instructor when walking into a shop, they will be looking for more than just an instructors rating. If he goes to a jr. college let him take, language classes throughout the Caribbean, Spanish, Dutch/German and maybe some French will go a long way. Let him take some mechanical courses an instructor that can repair regulators, boat engines and compressor motors can go along way. How about a few management/finance and marketing classes, scuba is a business and if he wants to move up the ladder those will come in very handy.

Btw an instructor rating is very nice but real life experience just can't be faked, you didn't say how many dives he has under his weight belt and if he just got OW he is going to need a minimum number just to proceed with the classes.

Whatever route he take I wish him all the best.

Did you and your son already make a decision? If yes, congratulations!

If not, and if your son wants to go through instructor training in warm water (who wouldn't) be sure to check out Scuba Emporium in Lauderhill (954)572-2642/scubaemporiumfl.com and Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale (954)776-3483/prodiveusa.com.

P

Did you and your son already make a decision? If yes, congratulations!

If not, and if your son wants to go through instructor training in warm water (who wouldn't) be sure to check out Scuba Emporium in Lauderhill (954)572-2642/scubaemporiumfl.com and Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale (954)776-3483/prodiveusa.com.

P

At this point we are leanign toward doing it through our LDS locally (Scuba Emporium Chicago) over the course of this spring/summer&early fall .... That way, he can still work his regular job during the week and get his experince & hours as a DM on the weekends. We are heading to FL for Spring Break in a few weeks; he's going to do is AOW while we are there and then decide

If he does it here, it's not going to be as comfortable as doing it in FL at Bob Braymans and he'll have to work his tail off with only 2 weekends a month off; but it's probably going to be better experience and it's certianly more economical. Plus, if he get's through rescue or DM and decides he doens't want to go on, we ownt' be on the hook for the whole thing

While I dont necessarily qualify to answer your post, I have done some pretty extensive research into some of the "zero to hero" (as some like to call them) programs. I entertained the idea of doing one of those myself some day when I am ready to make the move to become a dive pro, but in the end, I decided to stick with my LDS. The main reason I made this decision is that I want to train in the environment that I will be primarily diving and leading in. There is a big difference in diving conditions between the nice warm waters of Florida, Mexico, Central America, and Asia to name a few and the cold murky waters of the Pacific Northwest. I subscribe to the belief that anyone that can dive safely and competantly in cold water, should have no problems in warm water.

The secondary reason for my decision was finacial in nature.... my wife, A.K.A. favorite dive buddy, and I do everything together... so the cost and logistics of each of us getting a few months off work to attend a more formal program would be prohibitive.

So having said all of that, I would agree with the previous poster who suggested going to a 2 year college and focusing on the business/mechanical/language aspects of being a dive pro while simultaneously training in your LDS's internship program. This will serve your son two fold: one-he will be a more experienced and well rounded instructor, and two- he will have some education to fall back on when he figures out that a career as a dive instructor really isnt as glamorous and high paying as we all think it is initially.

Just my 2 cents.... hope it helps.

Steve

Are you still searching for advice on Hall's aka Bob Brayman's Career Institute? If so, I hope my experience will help. I graduated from there in April 2008. Going to the Career Institute was a great experience for myself. I was definitely proud of my accomplishments when I left Marathon, FL. The program is designed to test you daily and by doing so it pushes you to not only do your best, but to strive for your best. During my time at Hall's I learned a wealth of information that has given me a great foundation to build my career on. I have noticed (not to put down any other avenues) that I have become more of an asset to the shop I work for than my peers who did the instructor the LDS way. Since graduating from Hall's I have had dive shops call me wanting me to join their teams. Even with being a full time instructor at my current shop, I have recieved calls asking to keep them in mind when I am looking for a change. I am not trying to build myself up here, I am giving all credit to the education I recieved at Hall's. The education is recognized world wide. I was able to come right out of Hall's and be able to teach professionally right off the bat. Hall's gave me the education I needed to give me a huge jump start on other peers in the industry. Hall's will give your son a intense program, he will learn every aspect of the scuba industry. Hall's is not a program for people easy to quit, they push you from day one and take pride in the student's they produce. The education and experience your son will have will be more desirable from shops around the world than an instructor course from your LDS and a bachelor's degree. I am not trying to down play a college degree, I am working on a degree myself, I am just referring to the best option for the scuba industry. I feel in my opinion that Hall's is an incredible school and is a very strong foundation to build a successful career in the scuba industry. Some careers start out good, but without proper foundation they will eventually crumble. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Tell him to keep his day job too.

Are you still searching for advice on Hall's aka Bob Brayman's Career Institute? If so, I hope my experience will help......

The timing of your message is a bit ironic He had his EFR class last night at our local LDS and rather than meeting his friends afterwards; he promptly came home and started in on his bookwork for Rescue (the classroom & pool portion is 2 weeks from tomorrow)? I am pretty sure that was the first Friday night he has spent at home in months!!!

To answer your question, at this point we've decided to go the Local LDS route; he can keep his "day job" & live at home. If he works at it, he will be done before Halloween. It sounds like your experience at Halls was outstanding and has provided a good base for your career in diving. Thanks for the input!!

Caribbenjaminp, I'll second that!

I graduated in 2002 from Halls. Bob Brayman & Jim Brown are in the NAUI elite; having been on the BOD for NAUI. I have witnessed folks drop out of the class because of their challenging courses. The staff at Hall's makes sure that you have what it takes, otherwise they will not pass you as an instructor. I was very well prepared when I graduated and became a very respected instructor shortly after being hired on at a LDS. As far as skills, demonstration, technic, public speaking, presentations etc... I felt I was ahead of the other instructors...thanks to the education I received at Halls. Let the rest of the divers in the world knock it....but Hall's is not for the faint of heart. It can feel very regimented at times....being next door to the U.S. Coast Guard base didn't help.:) You don't pay for an instructor card at Halls....You EARN it! Our instructor trainer (Course Director) had also taught out in Seattle, WA for Divers Institute of Technology (D.I.T.). A well respected commercial diving school. The folks at Hall's know their stuff.

Sorry to dredge up such an old thread but I have a similar interest with a different starting point. I am giving serious thought to the Hall's program for a career change (in my forties). I am trying to be realistic about this and go into it with eyes wide open. I am most interested in hearing from past Hall's graduates and what they like about it and what they might have wished they did differently.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Back
Top Bottom