Body Fat & Bouyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back in the water after an extended dry spell. Before diving I checked my log book to double check how much weight I had been carrying while diving the specific gear I would be using on this dive. 7mil full suit & AL80 etc. 16lbs looked right.

I made the first dive with 16lbs and was OK until the end of the dive. I was too light to hold my safety stop without finning down. I added 2lbs for the second dive. Still not enough.

Same gear I have been diving for 5+ years. Only change I can identify is that my wetsuit appears to have shrunk a bit in the midsection :)

I am 10-12lbs heavier than I was on my earlier dives. Is fat that bouyant as to account for me needing 3 or more pounds of additional weight?

Yes, the fatter the person, the more weight that person needs to carry to compensate for the fat.

If I were to lose about 20-lbs of body weight, I can probably lose about 5-lbs worth of lead.

Yup.

Get your butt on that treadmill.

There are other problems that may result from that extra 10-12 lbs.

Body fat has a density of .9 g/cm^3 so a weight gain of 10 to 12 pounds would be offset by less than 2 additional pounds of lead. So, some of your problem may be technique/comfort or you may also have traded some muscle (1.06 g/cm^3) for fat.

I just got back in the water after an extended dry spell. Before diving I checked my log book to double check how much weight I had been carrying while diving the specific gear I would be using on this dive. 7mil full suit & AL80 etc. 16lbs looked right.

I made the first dive with 16lbs and was OK until the end of the dive. I was too light to hold my safety stop without finning down. I added 2lbs for the second dive. Still not enough.

Same gear I have been diving for 5+ years. Only change I can identify is that my wetsuit appears to have shrunk a bit in the midsection :)

I am 10-12lbs heavier than I was on my earlier dives. Is fat that bouyant as to account for me needing 3 or more pounds of additional weight?

Yes, fat is less dense than muscle and bone and yet as a result of it's accumulation you displace more water and are thus more buoyant as a result.

N

Where you using hard weights?
I just got back from a trip where they gave us soft weights and I thought it was funny that a pair of 5's weighed less than a pair of 4's they where homemade weight pouches so I really didn't worry about it that it seem to take more to weigh me down than normal.

Diving is a great motivator to excercise! I don't dive to excercise I excercise to dive.

Where you using hard weights?
I just got back from a trip where they gave us soft weights and I thought it was funny that a pair of 5's weighed less than a pair of 4's they where homemade weight pouches so I really didn't worry about it that it seem to take more to weigh me down than normal.

Diving is a great motivator to excercise! I don't dive to excercise I excercise to dive.

That! IF it weren't for diving, I'd skip the gym!

muscle sinks fat floats...im about the same weight as a dive buddy, but im more muscle hes more mush. i use alittle more than 5 lbs of weight less

Sometimes it is hard to make sense of weight requirements. Certainly my requirements have gone down as I have gained experience. It will be interesting to see what my requirements are this summer. Although my body weight hasn't really changed, I have lost a LOT of muscle.

It has been a while since you've been in the water. You could be doing a bit of what new divers do and don't relax. They don't hold their breath, but they don't seem to exhale deeply and need more lead! I've done the 10+# add on and my lead hasn't changed that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom