Body Fat & Bouyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been a while since you've been in the water. You could be doing a bit of what new divers do and don't relax. They don't hold their breath, but they don't seem to exhale deeply and need more lead! I've done the 10+# add on and my lead hasn't changed that much.

I dunno. If he got down fine at the start of the dive and couldn't hold a safety stop I don't think it's his breathing...

It's usually a 5# swing for an AL80 - so add 5 lbs instead of 2.

I just got back in the water after an extended dry spell. Before diving I checked my log book to double check how much weight I had been carrying while diving the specific gear I would be using on this dive. 7mil full suit & AL80 etc. 16lbs looked right.

I made the first dive with 16lbs and was OK until the end of the dive. I was too light to hold my safety stop without finning down. I added 2lbs for the second dive. Still not enough.

Same gear I have been diving for 5+ years. Only change I can identify is that my wetsuit appears to have shrunk a bit in the midsection :)

I am 10-12lbs heavier than I was on my earlier dives. Is fat that bouyant as to account for me needing 3 or more pounds of additional weight?

See the above two bolded statements ... they most likely both contribute to the issue.

Body weight and composition is only part of the picture. The other part is relaxation and proper breathing. If you haven't been in the water in a while, it's likely you're not relaxing as you dive ... and that will contribute to the problem you described ... possibly even more so than the extra pounds around the midsection.

Easiest way to find out is do a few dives and see if the problem gets any better ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Everyone for the input.

Apparently both my unfortunate dry spell and my having found a few pounds both contribute to my need for lead.

To those that commented about working out to stay fit for diving... When I was diving more I was active enough diving & related activity that I didn't need the treadmill.

To those that say that more frequent diving allows a comfort/relaxation level that reduces your weight requirements... I agree.

The obvious solution.... DIVE MORE!!!!@!

Thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom