Body Type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2muchtq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
OK. There isn't any real easy way to beat around the bush on this subject.

I am 5'10" and 300 lbs.

All the pictures I see of 'everyone' diving is the typical body type. While I am overweight (admittidly so) I am not out of shape. I can, and do, hike for MILES after elk. I freedive 15-20' spearing chub in the summers. I often spend 4-6 hrs at a time with my spear and my snorkel.

If I take a deep breath... hold it in, then quit treading water. I sink. Not as fast as I used to... but still sink to about 8'. I am neutral there.

Would there be any thing of concern to start diving?? I am currently losing the fat. Slowly, but right.... is there anything else that would stop me?

Honest opinons wont offend me. So lets hear them.

Thanks everyone
Mark

As far as your size is concerned there is no reason not to dive. People of all body types dive. You will have to fill out a medical questionnaire when you sign up for a class. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions then you will need to be cleared by a physician before you can take the course. As far as your buoyancy characteristics, everyone is different. Hope it works out for you...

As long as you are healthy enough to haul me out of the water when I am in trouble, you are fine to dive. Unfortunately, I am not strong enough to haul you out of the water, so don't dive with me. Sorry.

I am 5'10", 46 years and 220lbs, having lost 20 lbs since I got certified. You will need to be a bit more cautious re Decompression Illness, as the dive tables and No Decompression Limits are based around younger and slimmer guys. But with a sensibly conservative approach, you can still enjoy diving. I found the biggest hassle with my weight is the extra lead I need to keep me under the water. I am using this as motivation to get my weight down.

good luck!

Definetly get a good physical. You might not think your out of shape, but you can't see whats going on inside your body. A BMI of 43 is cause for alarm. Regardless of how you feel about your physical health, you need to lose weight.

Hi 2muchtq

I'd agree that it would be a good idea to talk with a doctor first and that would be good advice for anyone looking to get involved in any sport if they have any concerns.

As far as diving while overweight, my long time dive buddy is 5' 4" and somwhere around 300 lbs. I've never actually asked him and don't really care to. He has had some trouble getting well fitting gear. Custom sizing is available so gear shouldn't be a problem. He also has to work harder to move himself through the water or at least he appears to. Other than those minor issues, I can see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get involved.

As for myself, I'm a little over the average for my age, but to dive safely we need to be healthy overall, not simply weight.

Be honest with yourself, talk to a good dive instructor and if you're comfortable go for it.

Go to the doc for a physical. While there, have him fill out/sign your medical waiver. At that visit, also start a physician followed weight loss program. This doesn't have to be any certain diet or exercise schedule. But at least something that you go back to be weighed in once a month or so.... so the doc follows your progress and can be of assistance if needed. Assuming all is ok, I see no reason why you cannot dive.

I am 5'8'' and 258 lbs and female. When I started diving, over 10 years ago, I was only 145 lbs. (Yeah... marraige, kids, life, etc gets in the way, and I gain weight!) My highest weight was 305 and that was last fall... and yes I was still diving. I'm fat, but not out of shape. I do exercise and I have a very strenuous, fast paced job. I have recently lost 47 lbs (just since Christmas!) and hope to keep the downward trend going.

If you are really serious about dropping some pounds, please visit us at this SB Fitness Forum... http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276

We always like to see new members to our area! We love to motivate, tell truimphs, tribulations, etc. I can honestly say... I wouldn't be 47 pounds (and still counting) lighter without all my buddies on that forum. Check us out. :)

Please no fires, but how can you be fat but not out of shape? I kinda getting the feeling this is something we fat persons tell ourselves in order to justify being fat. Before I had to actually work to even get groceries I thought I was okay, but I definately wasn't. I'm fat, and therefore I'm out of shape. Thats how I see it anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom