Body Type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2muchtq:
Well.... I guess that I am out of shape then. Round to my point. I said I am fat... but not out of shape. To the person about hauling me out of the water if something happened..... never thought about it at that angle. Thanks for the view.

I weigh a little less than you and I’m slightly taller. We are both fat. However, I do dive frequently and I can pull your fat butt out if you get into trouble and I’m (by your description) sure you could haul my fat butt out as well.
My constant dive buddy, my lovely bride, could never pull me out of the water if I was in trouble. I know the risks of diving with the “little and/or skinny” people and accept them.
Get the physical and go diving!

Dave

But fisherdvm does bring up a very good point. Do you think you are fit enough to save your buddy?

Just find a *buddy* like me, a solo diver. Your best will be good enough. There's tons of us out here.

If the doc clears you to dive..then get diving. Diets never work. Becasue you starve and many folks do not do it right anyways..then they give up.

If your fat and healthy..all the power to you. I can haul your arse out...tow you from here and there..Get diving and do not worry about the other guys...as long as your cleard to dive...get cracking.

Get the physical and go diving. I've had a few people I thought I'd have to tie a grand piano onto in order to get them to sink. Generally, things work out well, especially for the motivated.

Good luck.

I hate people that assume that just because your a big man means you should be sitting at home eating Ben & Jerrys. I do agree that you should have a complete physical. Not everyone is a size small. ENJOY life and do the things you want to do.

6' 4" 235lbs

One of the most graceful students I had was a very large man. He had passed his physical for the class, but I was concerned about how well he would do. He was the best in the group. Taught me a lesson about balanced weighting, center of gravity, and how we are all about the same when neutrally buoyant.

Another friend I have is half the weight of this guy and so out of shape, I won't dive with him anymore. Weight alone is not the deciding factor.

Jon

here of many of us larger divers out here so dont let the pics of the neat and trim divers in lycra put you off

medical first to get the all clear and go for it.... if you love your diving you will start making changes to improve both your health and diving skills

as ER said in her post on page 1... feel free to drop into the fitness forum

cheers and good luck!

You will be fine. You will find the limits during the training. Be smart enough to recongnize them and dive within them. I'm a big guy, my doctor tells me every year to lose weight. I then explain to him how much time I spend diving, how much gear I strap to my back and haul up and down a rocky goat path and he backs off. My blood pressure is low normal, my heart rate is around 60. I'm healthy despite my weight. We can't all be our ideal weight. Some of the best divers I know are "large" people.

Scott

The medical exam is good advice. Read through enough accident reports and you'll see a heart attack while diving appears several times. My doc runs an EKG in the office.

I signed up with Eugene Skin Divers..... first class is Monday night.

Thanks all.

PS... Doc has NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with me diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom