Body Type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2muchtq:
I signed up with Eugene Skin Divers..... first class is Monday night.

Thanks all.

PS... Doc has NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with me diving.

Good for you!

During my last physical, my doc told me the same thing. I am 6'2" and weigh 365, but I keep pretty active, and have no problems swimming or hauling gear around. My cholesterol levels were all ideal, and liver enzymes normal.

He did say that I could use more exercise, and he said doing something you enjoy helps one to stay active.

Do realize that we have limits at our size, be considerate of those who dive with you (i.e., don't be the big tired diver who needs the half mile tow because you overdid it) consider staying with shallower dives, and since adipose tissue absorbs and retains nitrogen longer--consider whether using nitrox on all of your dives would lessen your risk of DCS.

Since I started diving, I'm in better shape than I've been in years, and find that it is very motivational.

Stay safe!

And, in the silver lining department, my instructor told me that big divers like me are useful in the Rescue Diver class to serve as training victims, LOL!

Congrats on getting cleared by the Doc and signing up for the class.

Diving gives me the motivation to hit the gym 5-6 days a week. Without it I wouldn't have the motivation to get in shape. I have to remember some of my buddies don't and are tired after 2 60'ish minute dive.

P.S. Why do I where a 2X wet suit and an XL shirt is big on me????

2muchtq:
OK. There isn't any real easy way to beat around the bush on this subject.

I am 5'10" and 300 lbs.

All the pictures I see of 'everyone' diving is the typical body type. While I am overweight (admittidly so) I am not out of shape. I can, and do, hike for MILES after elk. I freedive 15-20' spearing chub in the summers. I often spend 4-6 hrs at a time with my spear and my snorkel.

If I take a deep breath... hold it in, then quit treading water. I sink. Not as fast as I used to... but still sink to about 8'. I am neutral there.

Would there be any thing of concern to start diving?? I am currently losing the fat. Slowly, but right.... is there anything else that would stop me?

Honest opinons wont offend me. So lets hear them.

Thanks everyone
Mark[/quote

How's your general health??...

diver 85:
2muchtq:
OK. There isn't any real easy way to beat around the bush on this subject.

I am 5'10" and 300 lbs.

All the pictures I see of 'everyone' diving is the typical body type. While I am overweight (admittidly so) I am not out of shape. I can, and do, hike for MILES after elk. I freedive 15-20' spearing chub in the summers. I often spend 4-6 hrs at a time with my spear and my snorkel.

If I take a deep breath... hold it in, then quit treading water. I sink. Not as fast as I used to... but still sink to about 8'. I am neutral there.

Would there be any thing of concern to start diving?? I am currently losing the fat. Slowly, but right.... is there anything else that would stop me?

Honest opinons wont offend me. So lets hear them.

Thanks everyone
Mark[/quote

How's your general health??...
General health??

Healthy as a horse.

BP was 112/67 when the wife was in the hospital having our boy March 7th.

Resting heart rate is mid 50's

No asthma, diabetes, etc etc etc etc.

I dont take medication for ANYTHING (even headaches) I drink about a case of beer a year.... dont smoke. Dont chew. No 'other' drugs.

Basically my only bad habit is food (I guess.... lol) I am active. I work outdoors and do strenuous physical labor 10 hrs a day. I drink 1-2 gallons of water a day (have since I was in Jr High School)

This what you are asking???

2muchtq:
diver 85:
General health??

Healthy as a horse.

BP was 112/67 when the wife was in the hospital having our boy March 7th.

Resting heart rate is mid 50's

No asthma, diabetes, etc etc etc etc.

I dont take medication for ANYTHING (even headaches) I drink about a case of beer a year.... dont smoke. Dont chew. No 'other' drugs.

Basically my only bad habit is food (I guess.... lol) I am active. I work outdoors and do strenuous physical labor 10 hrs a day. I drink 1-2 gallons of water a day (have since I was in Jr High School)

This what you are asking???

Yep, that's the essentials....as long as your doc likes it, I would think you're good to go.....Good luck on your classes....you'll love it once you get certified & going...lol...be careful with healthy horses though, I once bought a beautiful Appaloosa mare, picked her up on a Saturday & Monday afternoon when I got to the lot, she was leaning against a corral wall getting ready to hit the ground, for good....She got the 'blind staggers'(called locally), later we found out she developed colic from a 'change in feed, water', you name it...I have since throw that saying out the window.....Again, good luck & have fun........

My thought -

I've recently lost 75 pounds. People always say "Oh, you must feel so much better!"

Honestly, I don't feel any different. Even when I was at 275, (6'), I could still run a mile under 10 minutes (agility test), and not be totally winded at the end.

Granted - it is *much* easier now! :)

(First Post! I'm usually more of a reader:)))

I am a fireman and cop by trade and a big guy at 6'1" 315 lbs, now what difference would it make now that the weight is made up of more fat than the cut muscle that I weighed in with when I was working-out . I still have the muscle under a nice layer of comfort and need less neoprene to stay warm...the best side of it all...I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid and the meds cant get it right...there are different sized people and it takes all of them to make the world go round

SkullDeformity:
Please no fires, but how can you be fat but not out of shape? I kinda getting the feeling this is something we fat persons tell ourselves in order to justify being fat. Before I had to actually work to even get groceries I thought I was okay, but I definately wasn't. I'm fat, and therefore I'm out of shape. Thats how I see it anyways.
not exactly true
im 5'10 300pds and swim like a fish underwater
my problem was a thyroid problem but when i certified
i out skilled the 20 somethings and finished the skill swim minutes before everyone else
I have extremly strong legs and upper body but my middle grew due to my thyroid condition. I still run and work out daily so yes its possible to be in shape and be large around the middle.

Ugh... I have the opposite problem. I'm 6'1" and 135lbs. I can't seem to put any weight on. When I did my open water cert about 8 or 9 years ago, I was slightly blue and shaking from the cold after the first dive (I believe in late March or April) in Seneca Lake, NY, even though I was wearing a fairly think rental with a hood, gloves and boots.

On a side note, I still can't believe that I managed to pass it at 14 years old (needing help to stand up with tanks and weights on) and being nearly blind since my prescription mask hadn't come in yet...

Back
Top Bottom