Body Type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you should dive.

Well.... I guess that I am out of shape then.

I have followed Dr Regimented diets. I have been at 1800-2200 calories a day.
Every test you can think of.

I was down to 220 once. I ran 4-5 miles every morning and still had a belly. (This was while I was eating 2200 calories a day) It was so bad that I mocked my recruiters and did pushups w/them until THEY gave up.

I quit doing that because it HURT. I dont know how anyone can run that distance and not have their back, knees, ankles, etc etc etc kill them.

Round to my point. I said I am fat... but not out of shape. I still can run a mile in under 8 minutes. Most people can't keep up when I go for elk. I swim hard for hours a day....

Maybe it would be easier if I weren't packing extra pounds.

Anyhow. Thanks all for the advice. And no flame from me. I appreciate it.

To the person about hauling me out of the water if something happened..... never thought about it at that angle. Thanks for the view.

SkullDeformity:
Please no fires, but how can you be fat but not out of shape? I kinda getting the feeling this is something we fat persons tell ourselves in order to justify being fat. Before I had to actually work to even get groceries I thought I was okay, but I definately wasn't. I'm fat, and therefore I'm out of shape. Thats how I see it anyways.

Hi, Skull...

No flames from me... in fact, you'll get a "Thank You" for asking kindly. I'll PM you the details, so not to veer away from the OPs question.

SkullDeformity:
Please no fires, but how can you be fat but not out of shape? I kinda getting the feeling this is something we fat persons tell ourselves in order to justify being fat. Before I had to actually work to even get groceries I thought I was okay, but I definately wasn't. I'm fat, and therefore I'm out of shape. Thats how I see it anyways.
Break it down like this, health and condition. You may be in good physical condition but have bad health. You can also be healthy but in bad physical condition.

I recently went diving and on the boat there was one lady, a real baby elephant, maybe 1.50-1.55 meter high but fat as I never saw before.
I didn't think that she can dive, I thought she is just a vistor on the boat.
Than we dove and she did very perfect, she was very advanced in her skills.
Actually under water the weight does not count and you'll do easier than on the surface.

2muchtq:
OK. There isn't any real easy way to beat around the bush on this subject.

I am 5'10" and 300 lbs.

All the pictures I see of 'everyone' diving is the typical body type. While I am overweight (admittidly so) I am not out of shape. I can, and do, hike for MILES after elk. I freedive 15-20' spearing chub in the summers. I often spend 4-6 hrs at a time with my spear and my snorkel.

If I take a deep breath... hold it in, then quit treading water. I sink. Not as fast as I used to... but still sink to about 8'. I am neutral there.

Would there be any thing of concern to start diving?? I am currently losing the fat. Slowly, but right.... is there anything else that would stop me?

Honest opinons wont offend me. So lets hear them.

Thanks everyone
Mark

I quit doing that because it HURT. I dont know how anyone can run that distance and not have their back, knees, ankles, etc etc etc kill them.

lol...they are typically 5'10 and 140lbs, thats why! I hate running for the same reason. I can haul your butt outta the water, and be happy to if you need me! i'm pretty new to diving so, don't expect too much. sounds like u would probably make a great diver. should get your heart health checked if you haven't before diving. Enjoy!

I let being over weight stop me from diving for 2 years. I really regret that now! I'm still over weight, and still a newbie at diving, but I love every second of it! Plus, even though i exercise, diving is exercising new muscles, so I'm losing weight while I'm at it!

Don't let being over weight stop you. Get a physical and if your Dr. clears you, Go for it!

I dunno...I'm over or under 300 at any given time, I do 30 minutes of cardio at least 4 days every week, I do a decent amount of weight training, and dive whenever I can...

I've had to surface from some dives because some scrawney guy ran low on air...

AS far as I'm concerned, if you are able to handle the physical exertion of it, then go for it. If you are 300 and a couch potato, I would recommend doing some training before hand.

I agree with everyone else, see a doctor. But fisherdvm does bring up a very good point. Do you think you are fit enough to save your buddy? Do you think if something did happen to you, would others be exhausted (in a dangerous way) in their efforts to help a person of your size? If I were you, I would hold off on diving, cut back on calories, stay under 1800 definitely, and do cardio. There is no rush to dive, diving is still going to be there when you *know* yourself, that you are in good physical condition.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom