Bolt through webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently got a backplate with webbing that had been cut to fit a ten year-old. Naturally, it doesn't fit me :) I was going to head down and buy some webbing to replace it when I remembered about the riveted hole that attaches it to the backplate. How do I install this? Melt a hole with a hot rod and pop-rivet?

Just buy new webbing, it will be cheaper and less stress inducing. You shouldn't need a rivet to hold the harness itself in place, tri-glides do just fine if you're worried about your harness moving on you.

Peace,
Greg

Oh certainly, I was going to replace all the webbing. So the rivet isn't essential?

Not in my (albeit limited) experience, especially with a hog harness. Sometime you will have to burn/cut/punch a hole in the harness to clear one of the upper bolt holes for either an STA or doubles bolts, but by no means is a rivet or anything else required. I use the triglides more for extra peace of mind that my harness won't self-adjust over time, that's about it. My DSS plate doesn't even require the triglides as it has rubber harness keepers built into the plate.

Peace,
Greg

You can go to, of all places, WalMart and get a grommet kit (sporting goods area) that is pretty cheap. It comes with everything you need except a hammer, and they come in numerous sizes. They are really easy to install. Home Depot probably has them as well.

You can get webbing at an outdoor camping/sporting goods store, such as REI.

I used these on my front pocket of my BP/W to facilitate water draining.

So the rivet isn't essential?

I don't think it is. I made the hole in my webbing with a heated steak knife and didn't put a grommet on it. 150 dives later, the hole is just fine (and in better shape than the hole in my aluminum backplate, which has worn down a bit by getting put on and taken off the bolts on my tanks).

I echo what others have said. No rivet for me, just triglides on the bottom slits hold the webbing just fine. I punched a hole in the top part to allow a STA using an awl, and that is it.

Heat a Philips head screwdriver over the stove, push it through webbing, put webbing on the plate. Done.

Are you talking about the crotch strap attachment or the center channel upper hole for the wing? The crotch strap is usually attached with a tri-glide and the upper hole is just a hole in the webbing for the sex bolt (single tank) or manifold bolt (doubles) to go through. I've never seen or heard of a rivet in a hogarthian harness.

Since the harness material between the two shoulder slots doesn't move, it really doesn't need a metal reinforcement. Grommets are much more critical in sites where the material will be forced into contact with whatever perforates it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom