Boltsnap breakaways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst progressing sensitively through a confined environment, the regulator catches on an entanglement:

Breakaway: the regulator tears off the breakaway, pulls down and becomes more snagged on the obstruction.

I don't buy that part. You feel it catch, it disengages the breakaway, you retrieve it, re-stow it (I use rubber tubing), and continue on.

However, as always, you're free to dive however you please.

flots.

Last edited:
The issue has resolved itself for me. I'm only using my Razor in the caves, with a partner equipped likewise, so on the last trip I replaced the 7' hose with a 28" hose and LH feed 2nd stage on the right tank. Very smooth and streamlined and should work well when I start rooting through small holes in the Advanced Sidemount course next year. My BM rig remains a standard Hog/GUE configuration with no need for a breakaway clip on the long hose.

Absolutely true, but - a reminder - this thread IS in the hogarthian diving forum. Hence, a 'can do what you want' response is inappropriate for the scope of discussion.

Fine. With respect to the forum, how is an attachment method that's sometimes safe better than a method that's always safe?

flots.

You're the one insisting that it's "always safe". That's not a consensus opinion.

That's not an especially convincing argument, but if that's the best there is, then I actually do have my answer.

flots.

Without using a hog loop, the long-hose is going to drop far below the diver, every time you reg switch (unless you planned to completely re-stow the hose on every switch).

No it doesn't. Why would you think that? It doesn't take much slack on the long hose o have full range of motion, so it doesn't dangle much if at all when you clip it off. And taking up the slack is a simple pull of the hose down the tank. There is no dangle.

Switching regs means moving the primary what, 4", from the mouth to the right dring. I don't know where you get this "dangle" from.

If 'most' of the long hose is stowed... and you route the regulator direct from the tank,.. then you will lose the 'initial' length of hose for donation. If you screwed up and trapped the hose, then it'd prevent air-sharing in a timely manner.

Huh? I'm not sure what you're picturing in your mind, but it doesn't work that way. A 7' routes on a tank by going down, then up, the down and up again, forming two peninsulas. If it comes directly up and you can breath out of it, then it can't entangle on deployment.

You'd also lose your muscle-memory/familiarity, evolved with using the hog loop (if you have such yet).

It's exactly the same motion. Stowing is different, but deployment is the same. I guess you pull harder on deployment.

(And yes, I have the familiarity. I'm GUE-certified and dove hogarthian for four years before moving to sidemount.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
No it doesn't. Why would you think that? It doesn't take much slack on the long hose o have full range of motion, so it doesn't dangle much if at all when you clip it off. And taking up the slack is a simple pull of the hose down the tank. There is no dangle.

That depends on what you define "much at all"... If it's enough to be in silt, or snag on something, it's too much. In the environments I sometimes dive, that is true... but maybe not for you.

Switching regs means moving the primary what, 4", from the mouth to the right dring. I don't know where you get this "dangle" from.

See above.

Huh? I'm not sure what you're picturing in your mind, but it doesn't work that way. A 7' routes on a tank by going down, then up, the down and up again, forming two peninsulas. If it comes directly up and you can breath out of it, then it can't entangle on deployment.

I saw precisely this, on an S-Drill, just last month.

That depends on what you define "much at all"...
If it's enough to be in silt, or snag on something, it's too much. In the environments I sometimes dive, that is true... but maybe not for you.

Umm... No. By "much at all" I mean "an undetectable amount"; not so much that the hose hangs below the bottom of the tank; and less than the dangle of second primaries with the clip ties a few inches up-hose from the nut, as is the AG style.

I don't know where you're getting this "dangle" thing from. It's just now how the hose routes.

I saw precisely this, on an S-Drill, just last month.

Bull****. Not with the hose correctly routed, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know where you're getting this "dangle" thing from.

Practical experience - having completed more demanding dives in confined restricted spaces, than you've done dives total.

---------- Post added ----------

I don't buy that part. You feel it catch, it disengages the breakaway, you retrieve it, re-stow it (I use rubber tubing), and continue on.

Where I dive, there's typically a 1' or more of silt and/or an unobtainable bottom (bottom of pipeworks etc in an engine room). My point being to avoid anything hitting the silt in a very confined space - to me, outweighs the dubious risk of a bolt-snap jamming and/or not having the muscle memory to deploy it quickly without reliance on a breakaway.

However, as always, you're free to dive however you please.

Absolutely - and one reason I'm not a DIR zealot, because I do feel that different environments and diving practices can alter the priorities attached to certain procedures and methodologies :)

---------- Post added ----------

Not with the hose correctly routed, anyway.

I must have been imagining it then.... LMAO

Of course, nobody's ever trapped a long hose, have they? Perhaps, with your 'DIR experience' you feel the S-Drill only exists for the benefit of 'looking good' rather than any other, more functional, purpose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom