Bonaire (1st Time) Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandy:

Can you describe what kind of place you DO want to stay at? I don't understand what's undesirable about a 'dive' resort as opposed to just a resort. I'm not being defensive, just trying to understand.

I got in 2 dives on a cruise ship excursion off Grand Cayman back in February '08, I think it was. Saw some fish, including a couple of decent-sized grouper. I think a Cero is what my wife photographed. The Dive Master pointed out 2 green morays (Kermit & Ms. Piggy), a 1 eyed spotted moray (Patch) and a spiny lobster for me. I can't comment much on fish density vs. other places, but I did get to see some things.

Richard.

Thanks for the info on Bonair. Was considering it for the next trip but don't really want to stay at a dive resort and I think that is all there is there. Am I correct. What are your favs? Need to think about the next trip.
Sandy

There are plenty of places to stay on Bonaire that are not dive resorts. You could rent a house/condo by using one of the vacation rentals by owner sites or Sunbelt Realty, to name a few options.

Don't waste your time with GC. Just got back did 9 dives. Very Very dissapointed. Hardly
saw any fish. Used to seeing alot of very beautiful fish in Hawaii, Virg.Ils and Mexico.

Sandy, It's been a while since I last dove Grand Cayman, but I can't imagine being "very, very dissapointed". I've dived Hawaii many times (Big Island, Maui, Lanai, Ohau) and, while the diving is good, the Cayman walls & vis are legendary. Great swim-throughs that lead onto shear drop-offs, giant orange & purple sponges, we've seen huge tarpon, eagle rays and angels that danced with us.

Only 9 dives? Did you dive East end or North wall?

As far as Bonaire, I can't comment yet. But certainly looking forward to sunrise shore dives and watching the sunset from our ocean front balcony at Den Laman condo. :D

I understand exactly what OP is saying as I too was disappointed on my first trip,first 3 dives...then I learned to slow down and look and wait and dive all hours of the day and night. Not only to watch the reef, but check out the blue water for the big stuff going by. Didn't 'get' how unique those tiny little shrimp are. Couldn't find a frogfish to save my life. Took 2 years to find a seahorse.

As for Cayman - it's not Bonaire (but oh so expensive!!). Diving is different. (I'm familiar with some North Wall and West Bay sites). To me GC topside is more like the states, only driving on the left. I love GC and will be back.

Many locales can't be compared as they are like apples and oranges. I love Saba too, but can't go out for a beach dive at 10:00pm there!

Sandy - check out the realtors websites for rentals (google Bonaire real estate). Rentals run the gamut from reasonable (couple hundred for a week) to outrageous (7 grand a week) and every flavor in between. ReMax, SunBelt and Harbourtown are 3 realtors with sites, rentals and pictures.

There are plenty of places to stay on Bonaire that are not dive resorts. You could rent a house/condo by using one of the vacation rentals by owner sites or Sunbelt Realty, to name a few options.

Based on recent info posted about Sunbelt Realty on bonairetalk.com, I would steer clear of them. But there are lots of properties up for rent to choose from on Bonaire that are not resorts.

Based on recent info posted about Sunbelt Realty on bonairetalk.com, I would steer clear of them. But there are lots of properties up for rent to choose from on Bonaire that are not resorts.

I would add that if you look back to archived threads that you will find that Sunbelt Realty has a negative history in regard to crime/theft/breakin issues.

I would choose to use someone else as well!

My wife and I went to Bonaire for the first time in November. We did only shore dives and found it to be outstanding to be able to dive on our own schedule. We saw several eagle rays on the west side and saw small turtles on most dives. We did one east side dive and saw many, 12-15 eagle rays and two very large turtles. We entered at Lac Cai and saw many tarpon in the tarpon hole along with a huge barracuda. At Angel City we saw a huge tiger grouoper on all three of our dives there. This was our favorite site with the double reef being relatively shallow. Diving on our own also allowed us a lot of bottom time. We did 36 dives in 12 days and only our first two dives were less than an hour. We had one dive that was almost an hour and 45 mins. Most of our previous diving has been in Cost Rica, there is more large stuff to see there, but good vis. is only about 25-30 ft. and currents an be brutal. My only negative about Bonaire is there is very little to do except diving and eating out, I missed the variety of Costa Rica.

I would add that if you look back to archived threads that you will find that Sunbelt Realty has a negative history in regard to crime/theft/breakin issues.

I would choose to use someone else as well!

DD & Herkman: The two of you are making rather disparaging remarks bordering on libel against probably the finest realty organization on the island. I know these folks professionally and personally and have for the last 5 years. I use them as my own agent.
You really ought to do a bit of due diligence and get some first hand information about what's really going on instead of relying on and posting such drivel. My suggestion would be to put your cumulative brains in gear before typing. Libeling the professional reputation and livelihood of folks is a serious offense. Wise up.:no:

My wife and I went to Bonaire for the first time in November. We did only shore dives and found it to be outstanding to be able to dive on our own schedule. We saw several eagle rays on the west side and saw small turtles on most dives. We did one east side dive and saw many, 12-15 eagle rays and two very large turtles. We entered at Lac Cai and saw many tarpon in the tarpon hole along with a huge barracuda. At Angel City we saw a huge tiger grouoper on all three of our dives there. This was our favorite site with the double reef being relatively shallow. Diving on our own also allowed us a lot of bottom time. We did 36 dives in 12 days and only our first two dives were less than an hour. We had one dive that was almost an hour and 45 mins. Most of our previous diving has been in Cost Rica, there is more large stuff to see there, but good vis. is only about 25-30 ft. and currents an be brutal. My only negative about Bonaire is there is very little to do except diving and eating out, I missed the variety of Costa Rica.

Bonaire, is all about Diving freedom:D People are mainly there to basically dive there brains out. There are other things to do, like kite boarding, donkey sanctuary, paintins, tours. But mainly the reason most people come to Bonaire is to just dive, dive, dive, eat, sleep and do it all over again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom