[BONAIRE] Advanced Dive Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpevans

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for some of the better dives on Bonaire?
Perhaps some of the more advanced sites, a bit of a current or a bit of a swim doesn't bother me.

Thanks. Will be at Buddy Dive Resort next saturday.

Welcome to the board.

Best dive on Bonaire....anywhere there is water. If I had a limited time I guess my choices would be Hilma Hooker, Alice in Wonderland, Old Blue, 1000 steps and Oil Slick leap. I know Bonaire pretty well, drop me a PM if you would like some specific details or I am local to Raleigh if you want to give me a call.

Perhaps http://www.larryswildsidediving.com/

With few exceptions I'd say most of the diving on Bonaire is similar, and not advanced. To add some variety Hilma Hooker, the double reef area (Alice in Wonderland/Angel City), and in general sites that are further north and south.

I misread the request. I do agree with Damselfish that there really are not that many "advanced" dives on Bonaire but a couple of suggestions are to get with Larry at Larry's Wildside diving for some windward side boat diving. If you want to do deep or rebreather diving contact Walt at RecTec. Both are really nice guys by the way. I am planning on diving with Larry and I am thinking about doing a rebreather dive on my next trip to Bonaire, come on July!!

http://www.larryswildsidediving.com/
http://www.rectekscuba.com/

bpevans:
Anyone have suggestions for some of the better dives on Bonaire?
Perhaps some of the more advanced sites, a bit of a current or a bit of a swim doesn't bother me.

Thanks. Will be at Buddy Dive Resort next saturday.
I have stayed at Buddy Dive many times..love that place. There is a site that is not marked and I have never run into anyone that has dove it other than myself, my brother or my dad. I have been diving Bonaire for 25 years and really enjoy it. I don't have a map but ask around for where are the giant piles of old conch shells. You have to take a dirt road through the center of the island. There is a site where an old restaurant used to be and there is about 5 or 6 piles of 15 foot tall conch shells discarded on the shore. The diving here is awesome!! Visibility is not as good as other places and the current can be very strong but it was well worth it the 4 times I have dove it! If you enter the water between the two piles of conch shells on the left side as you drive up and the bottom is sand for a bit it goes down to about 30 feet then it goes back up to about 10 and then it will start the slope. You will know when you find it because there is a constant school of tarpon that swim in a circle. Everytime I have dove this site there have been 100 to 200 tarpon here. The current is alot stronger than other dives so it attracts the fish....We have also seen very very large schools of grouper..3 foot long..about 100 strong, lots of spotted eagle rays and lots of fish. It took us about 2 dives to find the right spot because it was pretty poor visibility but when you enter the water try and follow some rouge tarpon to the spot. There has also been a time where you can see 20 turtles there on one dive, just at the other point of the inlet. Sorry I don't have a map to give you better directions but just ask around for the old conch shell piles. Like I said it might take 2 dives to find the tarpon spot and then beyond them is the slop which is a little more steep than other sites, almost a wall. Awesome dive not for the beginner. Definitely will need a compass to get back to shore. Hope it helps and let me know after you dive it how it went. Scott.

stangscuba98a:
I have stayed at Buddy Dive many times..love that place. There is a site that is not marked and I have never run into anyone that has dove it other than myself, my brother or my dad. I have been diving Bonaire for 25 years and really enjoy it. I don't have a map but ask around for where are the giant piles of old conch shells. You have to take a dirt road through the center of the island. There is a site where an old restaurant used to be and there is about 5 or 6 piles of 15 foot tall conch shells discarded on the shore. The diving here is awesome!! Visibility is not as good as other places and the current can be very strong but it was well worth it the 4 times I have dove it! If you enter the water between the two piles of conch shells on the left side as you drive up and the bottom is sand for a bit it goes down to about 30 feet then it goes back up to about 10 and then it will start the slope. You will know when you find it because there is a constant school of tarpon that swim in a circle. Everytime I have dove this site there have been 100 to 200 tarpon here. The current is alot stronger than other dives so it attracts the fish....We have also seen very very large schools of grouper..3 foot long..about 100 strong, lots of spotted eagle rays and lots of fish. It took us about 2 dives to find the right spot because it was pretty poor visibility but when you enter the water try and follow some rouge tarpon to the spot. There has also been a time where you can see 20 turtles there on one dive, just at the other point of the inlet. Sorry I don't have a map to give you better directions but just ask around for the old conch shell piles. Like I said it might take 2 dives to find the tarpon spot and then beyond them is the slop which is a little more steep than other sites, almost a wall. Awesome dive not for the beginner. Definitely will need a compass to get back to shore. Hope it helps and let me know after you dive it how it went. Scott.
It's called Lac Cai. A 'wild side" dive that should not be done without an experienced diver familiar with the site. The wildlife is considerably larger there.

Jet

Jetwrench:
It's called Lac Cai. A 'wild side" dive that should not be done without an experienced diver familiar with the site. The wildlife is considerably larger there.

Jet
That's it...could not remeber what it was called thanks.

Jetwrench:
Jet

I didn't expect too many big critters from Bonaire. What wildlife would one expect there?

Take a truck and some tanks and go up to the park in the north.
If you get an early start you can easily fit in 3 or even 4 dives.
Take everything you need as there is nothing up there, water, food, good book, etc.
The dive shops don't go up there because the boat ride is to long, e.g. 30 minutes.
I have not tried the sites right on the south of the island (Red Beryl, Atlantis, Vista Blue, etc, but given their location I would expect some current and maybe some more big fish.

You must night dive right off your resort. :D :D :D
I have always stayed at Sand Dollar and the house reef at sunset is just an amazing dive, as is a first thing in the morning dive (e.g. 7 am.).

Have a fantastic time, it is a beautiful place to dive.

bpevans:
I didn't expect too many big critters from Bonaire. What wildlife would one expect there?
See my post above....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom