[BONAIRE] Advanced Dive Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench:
It's called Lac Cai. A 'wild side" dive that should not be done without an experienced diver familiar with the site. The wildlife is considerably larger there. Jet

And more to the point of the original querry.

There are any number of dive sites on Bonaire that I would classify in anything but the "usual" category. Vacationers are not exposed to them for several reasons. These reasons start with the prevailing wind and waves that prevent diving from the North/East shores, as well as the fact that most DM's on Bonaire have better things to do than chaperone a number of us vacationing bone-heads on a shore dive to those tough-and-rough places. Your typical Bonaire Shore Dive- it aint.

If it's an exceptional day (in terms of wind/wave/weather), some better dive ops might bother to take you "around the horn", North and East past Slagbai Park, and let you drop in. Yes, you are more likely to see large critters there.

That's not why you go to Bonaire.

Go to look for the exceptional array of small critters using Klein (Little) Bonaire for the same purpose that you will- shelter from the convection oven wind and wave. Bonaire rewards those with excellent observational skills teamed with good buoyancy. 99.9% of the shore dives are pretty darned simple, yet some training is in order.

Have fun in Bonaire- diving as well as perusing the many restaurants!

As noted in the title, "advanced" in Bonaire does not necessarily mean better.

That said I got back from Bonaire yesterday and did two dives that have advanced elements:

1. Red Slave - almost at the tip of the island and current is usually running n-->s and is often strong. We entered the water and swam moderately hard into the current for about 10 minutes. The current then seemed to pick up and we decided to drift for awhile. Only real problem is estmiating how far you can drift before you are beyond then end of the island and on your way to Grenada! We also had a pretty stiff blow pushing out from shore, so needless to say we were happy to finish the swim in with air in our tanks and a bit of a walk back to the truck. If you are going to do this, you must be a strong swimmer!

2. Lac Cai - we took a look and found the surface conditions relatively calm. Checked with some local fishermen and found that the tide was still on the rise, meaning current still into the channel. We felt we could make the dive before the tide turned. It took about 10 minutes to swim out the sand channel and over the reef. Quite a bit of surge, but wave action was not so strong that there was danger of crashing into the reef. Be sure you take compass readings on land and at the read. You need to head due N to swim back into the channel and the reef runs SE to NW, so you need to take care not to get confused. The trip was worthwhile because we did see a spotted eagle ray in the sand channel and a rather large octupus on the reef (we went NW on the reef). The trick here is swimming back far enough to be sure you are in the sand channel when you turn back North. If you turn short you will swim up on the beach with some significant wave action. If you go too far, no big harm will be done other than having a longer swim back in. We found the surface current had become pretty strong heading out of the channel, but near the bottom the current really wasn't a problem. Also a lot of interesting things to look at in the grass on the way in.

We took a look around the Lighthouse, but the waves were a little more than we wanted to get involved with. Probably a good thing since the current was probably ripping there too. Probably best left for a live drift boat dive.

Of course Larry's Wild Side can offer up other opportunities at $100 for 2 tanks. If you want to do the Lac Cai dive, but are unsure about doing it yourself, there is local guide named Bas who will take you for $35 / each.

Another fun dive with a little adventure is drifting from La Donia's Leap to Karpata. The walk back to the truck isn't too far. The goodie stand at Karpata is now open every day and on weekends and times school is off there is a very entertaing youngster there who will carry some of your gear down the steps. He even noted that my buddies setup was leaking and avoided a problem when we got in the water.

The Windjammer is officially closed. Don't even think about doing it from shore.

Happy bubbles,

OC

Barry is now on island so I guess we will find out if he found some interesting dives this weekend.

Just returned from a week in Bonaire, N.A. and it was by far the best diving I've seen in the Caribbean yet. And that bold statement includes previous trips to the Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Curacao, St. Martin, FL Keys, and Yucatan peninsula.

We arrived Saturday, May 6th, at 2.30p but being seated in the back of the plane we were slowed in line for both Immigration and later Hertz. We stayed at Buddy Dive Resort, actually on the newly acquired Lions Dive side of the resort since this was an RCI timeshare trade. It was a nice 2 bedroom room with modern A/C units, full kitchen, tv (out of NY oddly), and a private balcony. The second bedroom A/C had a minor hick-up midweek and we managed to pop a fuse cooking dinner one night. They were old school fuses which required one of their on-call guys to come fix it, not just a simple breaker to flip.

Buddy only ran the required BNMP orientation Sunday at 11a but after a delayed start to diving, I still managed 20 logged dives over 5 days for a total of almost 16hrs underwater. In retrospect, I doubt anyone would have lifted an eyebrow had I just grabbed some tanks and started diving Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Buddy’s is wonderfully setup for divers between their dock facilities, showers, rinse tanks, gear locker room, and drive through tank pickup. We didn’t do any boat diving this trip but their boats did seem to run like clock-work. Their only fault all week was their nitrox membrane was only producing 31% so no 36% tanks were available. They also managed to double both our room and hotel taxes but they correctly fixed it when asked. Taxation does still seem a bit steep in Bonaire.

Jill brought an ABC islands guide book with her which seemed to over user the word current in my opinion. She was apprehensive about diving some of the Southern sites early in the week because of the current descriptions in the book. However, White Slave, and Alice in Wonderland had very little current when we did them later in the week. Oil Slick Leap, White Slave, and Invisibles were probably some of my favorite dives on the island last week. We saw a number of turtles, a few eagle rays, spiny & Spanish lobsters, and the obligatory slew of tarpon, eels, and other tropicals. An octopus was also very entertaining on one of the night dives. We never did find a sea horse, those critters seem to elude me for some reason. Other divers at the resort managed a dive with a pod of dolphins at Windsock, and saw a huge jewfish at Salt Pier on one of the guided dives. The night dives were great, the 10W HID that I took made the resident Tarpon my best friend each night as he’d cruise right under me and nail a illuminated meal where-ever he could. Even after grabbing on to him a couple times for a ride he still swam right under us ever minute or two following the light out. We also had a big snapper tag along one night which cleaned up on some unfortunate Sergeant Majors.

Our typical dive profiles were multi-level, with the first dive dropping right down to 75-100ft for several minutes and then working our way up the reef. Most of our time underwater was probably spent between 40 and 60fsw. There really wasn’t much purpose in doing deep dives as the reef didn’t change much by depth. The water was clear with guess from 50’ to 110’ viz on every dive. It was a warm 83F and I wore only a 2mm vest & hood. Being a bit cold-natured, Jill chose a full 3mm jumpsuit.
One thing that stood out was the abundance of high dollar photo and video gear everywhere. Housed D200s and high-end Canons were everywhere. The only sad part was watching a lot, if not most, of these well-heeled diver take $4k of camera into the water with $600 of dive gear and then go walk all over reef, bracing themselves against coral to get snaps of grouper and other things. One might hope that if you enjoy the sport enough to travel and drop several thousands on photo gear they might spend the time to get a decent handle on buoyancy.

Theft on the island is still alive and well. We didn’t lose anything short of a bottle of defog but we did give a lift to a Dutch kid parked next to us at 1000 Steps after some goblin stole the battery from their rental truck. A week earlier they had 2 of 4 empty tanks stolen. As small as Bonaire is, and as big a part as tourism plays on their economy, you’d think they’d clean up the problem already. Overall the people were as friendly as anywhere and prices on the island were very reasonable.

We tried City Café, Wattaburger, Coco’s, and Casa Blanca all were priced very reasonably from $5 burger specials to the $36 Mixed Grill which was an absolutely ridiculous amount of meat for two at Casa Blanca. We cooked in a lot and went by both the Cultimara and Warehouse supermarkets. Neither were supermarkets by American standards but they did offer what we needed at prices not too far above our local US prices. Soda and beer was a little pricier but beef and gouda was cheap.

Travel was uneventful despite an overnight layover in ATL on the way back. I got both our backplates, neoprene, and a set of fins in the dive bag still under the 50lbs weight cap. Regs and my HID light were carried on and they only earned me a security shake down at RDU. I expected the canister light might concern the airport screeners but Bonaire, Montego, and Atlanta didn’t even hand check it. I only charged the light once while there and the 127V/50hz power was no problem. The stainless steel backplates did earn a TSA inspection both ways but nothing was lost. Our Chevy S10 from Hertz was decent and a bit bigger than most of the Toyota and Mazda trucks on the island. A fill-up of Premium at the end of the week was only $50US.

In retrospect, we should have spent two weeks on island. I wish we had the time to have done La Cai and Red Slave as the dives seemed to get more interesting the further south we went. More night dives would also have been nice. But we are looking forward to another trip sometime and will definitely do Bonaire again since we liked it so much more than the other islands we’ve been to before. Jill and I would typically take off and do two morning dives, then another one or two with my family, and usually a night dive later on. Diving on your own schedule, at your own pace worked out great since my family also met us in Bonaire and preferred to get breakfast in morning before diving. I can’t wait to get back.

I have had the opportunity to dive Red Slave only once in my three trips to Bonaire but, it is more than worth the effort. We were able to see two southern stingrays and a group of spotted eagle rays. I was able to take several pictures of one spotted eagle ray shifting through the sand trying to find something to eat.

Bonaire is the perfect place to dive to your heart's content even if it is not "advanced" diving.

Bob and Bart from Wannadive lead a great shore diving trip to Lac Cai and I am sure that they can suggest other sites if you are interested.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom