Bonaire best place to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowlysubaruguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Were tinkering with a 10 day trip to Bonaire in Feb it will be our 4th trip so I dont need a lot of information about the island. We have stayed at two places loved both one was not on the ocean required a drive to dive swim or lounge on the beach not that we do much lounging but I do want to be able to kick back in a lawn chair by the ocean. It was really nice but I do want to be on the ocean. Two of our group of 5 have very little diving experience. Im tetoring with Buddy dive we have used them twice. With two fresh divers it offers everything I need to get them some easy dives and experience with minimal effort and stress. But I also think there are other choices. Were pretty basic dont need fancy but do cook a lot of our own meals so where ever we stay needs to have at least a basic kitchen.

Thanks in advance.

Have you seen Scubadada's recent thread, Den Laman & Dive Friends, August 11-25th, 2018? Scroll down to Post #7 and examine that photo; the Sand Dollar beach area is what I'm pointing out, and that pier to make entry/exit for a nice reef, also available for night diving, close at hand. Bonaire's not known for sandy beaches.

It's close to Buddy Dive Resort, so you'd be familiar with the area.

IIRC, Divi Flamingo is walking distance from town? That might appeal to some, especially new to the island, and if one or two of you are avid divers and want to dive more often than some others, yet nobody wants to pay for another rental vehicle. I see Birdman27 has a thread, Divi Flamingo 10/13-10/21(2018). Might be worth a look.

I've only stayed at Eden Beach Resort (prior to current management & renovation), Dive Hut and Buddy Dive Resort. In your situation, I'd start with what I suggested.

Are you mainly a 'dive resort' person, or interested in AirBnB, VRBO, etc...?

Richard.

Ill look into those places. Were quite comfy with VRBO and others even boarded a plane to the big island without a place to stay or a car, booked them on our layover. long story. Id actually like to go to Hawaii on this trip that being said what I like about buddy dive is the ease of what ever, get a van-drive and dive everywhere, dive from the dock or a boat eat on site or not without making any prior commitments plan nothing do what ever works the rest can go do something with the van. They do have a small sandy beach to. We do spend a lot of time In town on foot to, not opposed to something in the center of it all either. If my two youngest had more dives we would spend two weeks in the Philippines but I really need to try and get them in the water in a comfortable controlled environment. My wife has ear issues gets sea sick loves diving on bonaire with out the rush of a boat dive or group my dive buddies are combat divers to much for her most of the time. She can get herself to whatever she’s comfortable at and not feel like she’s slowing anyone up. This trips more about them and I’ll never turn down a shot at warm water.

If my two youngest had more dives we would spend two weeks in the Philippines but I really need to try and get them in the water in a comfortable controlled environment. My wife has ear issues gets sea sick loves diving on bonaire with out the rush of a boat dive or group my dive buddies are combat divers to much for her most of the time. She can get herself to whatever she’s comfortable at and not feel like she’s slowing anyone up.

Have you looked at the threads discussing Curacao? It has more sites with beach, a number of sites have 'amenities' (e.g.: concessions) available, and I recall one of our members (RJP?) posting about going with his wife, and it sounded really nice.

It would involve learning a bit about a new (I'm guessing?) island for you, but might keep everyone happy. Not saying Curacao's better, just that one or the other might be better for your group.

Richard.

We have always stayed at Buddy Dive and never regretted it!

You have been at Buddy Dive twice, so you know what you are getting there. Given your criteria and group size/dynamics, I would definitely consider Den Laman. I have stayed in 4 different locations on Bonaire- all waterfront and I really like Den Laman.

BelMar condos in Belnem is the other Buddy Dive location with it's own shop, boats and drive-thru rights at Buddy. No beach but the resort is right on the water - patios separated from it by the pool.

Bachelo's Beach is about a block away. No food on-site either - you have to drive to the Plaza Resort or slightly further to town for that.

Actually the villas at the Plaza might be an option. Probably one of the bigger stretches of beach at the resort, Toucan Diving on the lagoon at the south end and their shore dive is 18 Palms. Can be done as an AI or not. The SB trips go there.Nice pool, beach bar, tennis, a couple restaurants.

One consideration for Den Laman is although they have no beach, Coco Beach Club is immtediately to the south 50 yards away.

Eden Beach also has one but it's terraced to keep it in place. They have some bigger units also. Wannadive on-site and they have a tank exchange point at one of the south Belnaem sites.

Harbour Village has a beach in front of your villa. Not the best shore dive though and it's the most expensive property on Bonaire. Good location, it's the farthest resort south nearest to town along "resort row" - just south of Eden Beach. They have their own shop/boat mostly for HV guests

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom