Bonaire/Curacao for Beginner divers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info
I am guessing they don't have any all inclusive plans? I have been spoiled in mexico lol.

Also how about hurricanes?

And if anyone has been to Cozmel how does that compare to bonaire?

No all inclusive plans but you can get breakfast plans, or it's included, at some resorts. Mexico does spoil you.
Bonaire is below the hurricane belt so it's no much of an issue.

I've only done a few dives in Cozumel so based on those I much prefer Bonaire.

Bonaire is great for new divers, Capt Don's Habbitat is not very fancy but clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. unlimitted shore dives and it is right on the reef. very relaxing dives with lots of different dive sites, only a few require boat entry.

Cozumel is mostly hiring charter boats to take you out, and often amounts to drift diving from what I understand. Got 2 dives in there recently, & 2 in Costa Maya; at both, I believe we followed a guide, who at the end of the dive put up an SMB so the boat could come get us.

Bonaire is famous for shore diving. Go in when & where you want, dive while your air or nitrox lasts, get out, load your gear in the back of the pickup truck & go somewhere else.

You may not see as much 'big stuff' in Bonaire.

Richard.

Just returned from a week on Bonaire.

Stayed at Sand Dollar and got a dive package from Bonaire Dive and Adventure next door. Both very satisfactory.

Would also recommend getting a unit at Bamboo Bali Bonaire (about $875/wk) and a scuba package (about $290, unlimited shore, 6 boat dives; free enriched air) from BDA. Bamboo Bali is across the road from Buddy's and the Habitat, one-quarter mile from BDA, so not on the shore, but very nice. Prefer the scuba package from BDA, but Buddy and Habitat packages comparable and fine.

Rent a Toyota pickup from Budget at the airport. About $228/ plus gas. Get your food at The Warehouse. Take some staples with you, and buy the rest of what two people need for $100 (Bonaire is on the USD as of January 1), without a lot of chips and alcohol.

Good and easy diving from BDA pier, day and night, and good boat dives and DMs, especially Annie and Travis. If you dive that way, you can use full-foot fins, and I guarantee you 15 different and rewarding dives in 5 days. Otherwise, take booties and open-heels, and be prepared for some challenging entries/exits. Oil Slick is perhaps the easiest, and that's a nice little jump.

Have a great trip. We did.

man I am having a hell of a time finding flights from cincinnati the best so far out of dayton oh it its a total transit time of 12 hours.
Anyone have any other ideas.

12 hours from where you are isn't bad. Even from Louisiana, if I don't take a midnight flight out of Houston, it takes me 8-9 hours through Atlanta on Delta. Midnight from Houston, on Continental, puts you on Bonaire around 6:00 a.m., and you can't generally check in anywhere until 3:00 p.m., so an option there is to buy the accomodation for the night before you arrive. I have even had to overnight in Atlanta, which puts it at about 22 hours.

Hurricanes are uncommon, but they do happen. Too far south. Still, it pays to be cautious during the season--basically, June 1 through November 30.

man I am having a hell of a time finding flights from cincinnati the best so far out of dayton oh it its a total transit time of 12 hours.
Anyone have any other ideas.

We generally do AA to Curacao and then the divi divi to Bonaire!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom