Bonaire/Curacao for Beginner divers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennfl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My boyfriend and I are considering lots of different places for our trip in May 2011. We thought we had it narrowed down to Ambergris Caye in Belize, but are still looking and researching other areas.

We are very new divers, only one dive trip to Cozumel in May. When I read about all of the shore diving in Bonaire and Curacao, I wonder if it is more geared toward experienced divers rather than new divers.

We still feel we are learning, so we prefer to go with a group, and to follow the DM underwater, or hire a private DM just until we feel more experienced and confident.

The shore diving sounds amazing, but to go by ourselves is a little intimidating right now.

Any insights are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

There is great diving in Bonaire, the navigation is easy, there is no significant current and the reefs start at shallow depths. There are guided boat dives to get you more comfortable in the water. You can then venture out and do some diving on your own. I think it is a great location for a beginner diver to further there experience.

The Plaza Bonaire has some great deals and, in my experience, the staff at the dive shop is very accommodating.

Another great option is to find a dive shop running a trip. My LDS is running a trip in June 2011. I'm not sure if your dates are set, but last year we had 48 people on the trip, many of them new divers. It was a great group and the more experienced divers were happy to show the newer divers "the ropes" on the trip. Tons of fun!

That's actually not a bad idea, going on a group trip with a dive shop. Our dates aren't set in stone as of yet. We try to steer clear of hurricane season, as it can affect FL (where we are), anytime from June-Oct. We like to go late May, but June is a thought. Would new divers be able to kind of "follow along" on shore dives? Is there much else to do in Bonaire? My BF is certified, but not as crazy about diving as I am.

Bonaire is diving.
Does not get much easier. As Mike said there is usually very little current, the reefs are all pretty shallow, and easy to navigate. I took my two kids there shortly after they first certified, and we have gone back at least once a year ever since then! Spectacular reefs.

Bonaire does not have much of a nightlife, or party scene. It is a fairly small, laid back island, with world class diving and sail boarding (it's OTHER great sport, that Bonaire is famous for). Pretty good restaurants, too, with both a European, and Caribbean/South American flavor.

There is also great snorkeling, plus various other sports such as kayaking in the mangrove swamp, caving, horseback riding, biking.

As you see from Jim's signature, he is an organizer for a group of ScubaBoard folks going down in June as well.

Mike, what are the dates in June, that IVS will be there this coming year? Our DNY trip is June 25-July 2. Do we overlap at the Plaza again this year?

Maybe this year I can at least share a brew or two with you, even if we are both going diving so much we never meet, except swapping out tanks between dives, like last year!?

Mike's group, Indian Valley Scuba, is a shop and offers some great trips with DM's, training etc, while our group is just a bunch of divers, pooling resources to get good deals, and spend time with friends.

Our two groups share many friends, and cross paths often, both at home, and now, on Bonaire too.
Both great groups of people, and welcome new friends an divers.

We still feel we are learning, so we prefer to go with a group, and to follow the DM underwater, or hire a private DM just until we feel more experienced and confident.

Every dive is a learning experience. Bonaire or Curacao are appropriate for new divers. If you did some drift diving in Cozumel you will most likely find the ABC islands manageable.

The beach diving in Bonaire is great, not so great in Curacao.

One alternative would be to take your advanced open water class for your first 4-5 dives of your vacation. This way you get additional training and some great dives under the supervision of an instructor.

Mike

Bonaire would be a great chance to split your fun between boats with guides and also get a chance to stretch your fins by doing some shore dives. If your unsure you could try to find some local mentors to help you get warmed up to shore diving, but keep in mind Bonaire is like crawling into your bathtub. Its easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom