Bonaire/Curacao for Beginner divers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every group I have ever spent time with on Bonaire welcomed a newcomer or two to the group. Diving is easy, and there is just an open, friendly atmosphere on the island, and in the resorts, that makes mixing and matching groups of divers natural.

Earlier in one of the Bonair discussions here in SB, I believe there was a mention of hurricane season. Bonaire is south of what is known as the hurricane belt, so, while it can and has had hurricanes from time to time, they are less of a risk than the Caribbean islands to the north, Mexico, or the southern US during that time of year.

Hi,

Curacao is the place to be with 65 spots for shore dives.

If you want enlarge your experience CURious2DIVE ttravels with small groups over the Island to visit the different divesites. We offer 1-tank, 2-tank dives and packages. Visit our website ww.curious2dive.com.
If you're interested you can mail us at curious2dive@gmail.com. We send you the different posibilities we have.

Regards
Hans Pleij

Bonaire has sites for newcomers and also more seasoned divers.

You need somebody to drive stick; your rental truck probably will be. Traffic's not bad and the speeds aren't fast by U.S. standards, but the road signs are foreign. Going with a group your first time is wise. It's a pretty rustic island and getting around seems pretty easy (I ride; I don't drive stick).

For a typical dive, here's what a buddy & I do.

1.) Walk to about waist deep water.

2.) Put on fins (do reverse coming out - do not try to 'duck walk' in, including backward, wearing fins from shore in Bonaire).

3.) Swim out to reef (surface backswim if it's going to be aways).

4.) Head north or south (right or left) & cruise down to around 50 - 70' deep.

5.) When I get around 1500 PSI, give or take (I'm the air hog), turn & amble back, but move up to around 30 - 40' deep (makes air last longer).

6.) Do a 3" 15' safety stop.

7.) My buddy's a decent navigator, but if need be, pop up, stick your head out of the water & look to see where you want to exit. You're not going to get badly lost. The reef drops at about a 45 degree angle, you're not far from shore, and most beginner sites don't have much current.

8.) Tool around in the shallows near the exit while I run down my air (preferably not all the way!!!). You can see some neat stuff in the shallows, & the less filtered light makes for better pics. In the shallows along Oil Slick Leap I've seen a pair of Rainbow Parrotfish (huge!), and a large and a very large porcupine fish.

For non-diving activities, spend half a day or more driving through Washington-Slagbaii Park taking photos. Head over the Jibe City on the East side & watch the wind surfers. In fact, just drive around the island's coast one day and get all that in. On the southern west end, watch kite boarders. Maybe visit the donkey sanctuary. One night if you're in an oceanfront resort, take your dive lights & walk along the beach shining lights into the puddles and where waves wash over rocks - you may see small chain moray eels, gobies, crabs, out into the water on a rocky shelf young spiny lobsters, a variety of things.

Richard.

Curacao also has some great shore diving!

If you need someone to guide you can always tie up with The Dive Bus, they run group trips to all the best shore dive spots on Curacao. Their trips include a qualified guide, pick-up and drop-off at your hotel, pick-nick lunch, and a fun day out! I can really recommend this outfit, for more information you can contact Suzie on the internet.

In addition to the diving the dry land activities and night life in Curacao is far more interesting and varied than those in Bonaire!

Jennfl
In either case I don't think you can go wrong. However you did mentioned that you would prefer guided tours, and if shore diving is the main plan then you might do better in Curacao diving with someone like the Dive Bus. As Nivek mentioned they're a lot of fun. Just don't tell them I said so.. :^)
There is much more night life, activities to do on Curacao then Bonaire, so if this is important to you Curacao might be the better choice.
Are you wanting to stay at an all-inclusive? If so, I know of non on Bonaire, only on Curacao.
I've dove both islands and I'm hard pressed to really say which is better when it comes diving.

My 2psi

Thanks to everyone! We are talking over the idea of a group trip with a dive shop. Very good idea. Thanks parzdiver, for all of the information you sent!
Has anyone heard of VIPdiving in Bonaire? They are highly rated on tripadvisor and I have been emailing with Bas, the dive master there. He says they offer guides with a DM to do the shore dives until we are comfortable. I"m going to post this question on a new thread, but thanks to all of the advice. Bonaire it is. We can't wait.

The shore diving sounds amazing, but to go by ourselves is a little intimidating right now.

If you can walk into the ocean... and walk out... you can shore dive in Bonaire or Curacao.

:)

The answer to the original post is

- Bonaire or Curacao is actually a better dive locale than many other places for a beginner. There are many (Repeat many) dive sites for beginners on both islands.

Since you are from Florida - Key Largo is a good beginner dive location also.

Thanks to everyone! We are talking over the idea of a group trip with a dive shop. Very good idea. Thanks parzdiver, for all of the information you sent!
Has anyone heard of VIPdiving in Bonaire? They are highly rated on tripadvisor and I have been emailing with Bas, the dive master there. He says they offer guides with a DM to do the shore dives until we are comfortable. I"m going to post this question on a new thread, but thanks to all of the advice. Bonaire it is. We can't wait.

I have never personally dealt with Bas, but here on SB, his name has come up often, and always with very positive feedback, as I recall.

You will not regret choosing Bonaire, in my opinion. ENJOY!

Bas is a great Instructor/ dive guide, he will show you stuff yiou have never seen! We also have a large group trip going in June of 2011. Check out the DNY invades bonaire forum. There is space join us for a Great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom