Bonaire: Divi Flamingo vs Plaza Resort (House Reef Entry/Exit, Etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cher4Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:

Asking for advice from those who frequent Bonaire and have stayed at one or both Divi Flamingo and Plaza Resort.

We've been to Bonaire many times and always stay at the Divi. My husband doesn't like boat dives and we mainly dive the house reef (2-4 times a day and he dives it at night solo).

This trip I'm making him do more boat dives - but I know we'll still be doing MANY house reef dives. I've been reading good things about the house reef at Plaza Resort. However, I can't tell much from their pictures or website about the: enter / exit for diving; rinse tanks; do they have outdoor shower; lockers; rooms right on the water???

At the Divi we usually get a room right on the water. Keep a few tanks by the room. Don our gear and jump in. Is this an option at the Plaza?

Haven't been to the Divi in a couple years - looks like the rooms are a bit nicer. How are the rooms @ Plaza?

Thanks in advance!!!

Plaza's house dive is 18Palms. it's actually at the north east end of the resort off the beach. I only know the general entry area. I'm almost positive i saw a shower there. The pool area is nearby and Coconut Crash bar just south of it.

Toucan Dive is on the south side off the lagoon - they moor the boats there. The shop, lockers, tank fill, rental desk are all there. They do stage tanks at 18Palms for guests now. It's a pretty good distance to have to carry gear - I have heard of employees giving divers a ride on a golf cart.

We didn't stay at the resort but dove with Toucan - when I asked about the shore dive once, an employee suggested we drive out the main entrance and back onto the resort at the next left - the employee parking lot - and haul gear from there - we never did.

On this map the red dot near the top right is 18 Palms - the blue dot on the south side is the locker area for Toucan. Just next to it is the tank fill and you can see a small parking area south of that - we parked there to exchange tanks a couple times.

Capture.JPG

Similar to the Divi is Capt' Don's Habitat, Buddy Dive or Eden Beach - all have the shop near/on the dock with lockers nearby. None have lockers on the dock like Divi but they're all pretty close.

All 3 resorts are too far to walk to town for restaurants etc being on the other side of Harbor Village resort and the marina.

Here's Buddy - lockers are in the building just to the left of the dock. http://www.sevenseas-voyages.fr/application/uploads/idev_visit/87/sejour-plongee-snorkeling-bonaire-buddy-dive-resort-1.jpg This location also has the drive-thru tank pickup for shore diving elsewhere.

Habitat - https://www.habitatbonaire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Resort.jpg The little blue tent between the docks is the tank storage. From the left dock it's an easy swim to the Cliff dive site north and they have a small wreck (La Machaca) off their dock also. Not as apparent in this shot is that the dive facility (lockers, showers etc.) is one level down from the parking lot - you can see the ramp fronting the larger dock.

Eden Beach - http://www.pbcarrentalbonaire.com/wp-content/uploads/st_uploadfont/slider9.jpg Not a great shot but you can see Wannadive in the middle with their boat moored. The dark 2 story building off to the left is the rooms. The sign in the foreground is blocking the dive dock.

It's the far south end of Bari Reef but they've recently added Coco Beach Club directly north of this shot so IDK how that's changed now. Technically their house reef is not Bari but it's a short swim north - the public entrance to Bari is just past Coco Beach. i like that area better since there's some old hurricane damage rubble in shallow water there. Coco Beach dumped a lot of sand onshore now so IDK if it's changed.

Both Buddy's/Habitat are about 2-3 resorts farther north

Last edited:
We have stayed at Divi,Plaza.Sand Dollar,Habitat, Buddy a Dive ..list can go on and on..that said, the easiest to dive out of by far is Buddy Dive.. Lockers, tanks, are less than 10 steps from the dock if doing house reef dives. Accessible all hours of day or night. When we stayed at Plaza, did not bother doing one house reef dive as it meant a trek of more than 7 minute walk with gear and cameras. Not worth the effort as we can simply drive somewhere easier than that walk. Habitat similar to Buddy and Sand Dollar as well, but still would choose Buddy Dive as we can start dive and go north and hit Habitat house reef, and cliff dive site, or go south and hit Sand Dollar house reef. No need to wait at airport truck rental as well on arrival if at Buddy Dive, get room key and truck key at front desk during check in as rental truck is part of buddy dive package.

Plaza's house dive is 18Palms. it's actually at the north east end of the resort off the beach. I only know the general entry area. I'm almost positive i saw a shower there. The pool area is nearby and Coconut Crash bar just south of it.

Toucan Dive is on the south side off the lagoon - they moor the boats there. The shop, lockers, tank fill, rental desk are all there. They do stage tanks at 18Palms for guests now. It's a pretty good distance to have to carry gear - I have heard of employees giving divers a ride on a golf cart.

We didn't stay at the resort but dove with Toucan - when I asked about the shore dive once, an employee suggested we drive out the main entrance and back onto the resort at the next left - the employee parking lot - and haul gear from there - we never did.

On this map the red dot near the top right is 18 Palms - the blue dot on the south side is the locker area for Toucan. Just next to it is the tank fill and you can see a small parking area south of that - we parked there to exchange tanks a couple times.

View attachment 397360

Similar to the Divi is Capt' Don's Habitat, Buddy Dive or Eden Beach - all have the shop near/on the dock with lockers nearby. None have lockers on the dock like Divi but they're all pretty close.

All 3 resorts are too far to walk to town for restaurants etc being on the other side of Harbor Village resort and the marina.

Here's Buddy - lockers are in the building just to the left of the dock. http://www.sevenseas-voyages.fr/application/uploads/idev_visit/87/sejour-plongee-snorkeling-bonaire-buddy-dive-resort-1.jpg This location also has the drive-thru tank pickup for shore diving elsewhere.

Habitat - https://www.habitatbonaire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Resort.jpg The little blue tent between the docks is the tank storage. From the left dock it's an easy swim to the Cliff dive site north and they have a small wreck (La Machaca) off their dock also. Not as apparent in this shot is that the dive facility (lockers, showers etc.) is one level down from the parking lot - you can see the ramp fronting the larger dock.

Eden Beach - http://www.pbcarrentalbonaire.com/wp-content/uploads/st_uploadfont/slider9.jpg Not a great shot but you can see Wannadive in the middle with their boat moored. The dark 2 story building off to the left is the rooms. The sign in the foreground is blocking the dive dock.

It's the far south end of Bari Reef but they've recently added Coco Beach Club directly north of this shot so IDK how that's changed now. Technically their house reef is not Bari but it's a short swim north - the public entrance to Bari is just past Coco Beach. i like that area better since there's some old hurricane damage rubble in shallow water there. Coco Beach dumped a lot of sand onshore now so IDK if it's changed.

Both Buddy's/Habitat are about 2-3 resorts farther north

Wow - thank you DiverSteve for the detailed reply - so helpful! The husband & I will look everything over this evening. Wanting our 10th wedding anniversary to best the best vacation/trip! Thanks again :flowers:.

Last edited:
We have stayed at Divi,Plaza.Sand Dollar,Habitat, Buddy a Dive ..list can go on and on..that said, the easiest to dive out of by far is Buddy Dive.. Lockers, tanks, are less than 10 steps from the dock if doing house reef dives. Accessible all hours of day or night. When we stayed at Plaza, did not bother doing one house reef dive as it meant a trek of more than 7 minute walk with gear and cameras. Not worth the effort as we can simply drive somewhere easier than that walk. Habitat similar to Buddy and Sand Dollar as well, but still would choose Buddy Dive as we can start dive and go north and hit Habitat house reef, and cliff dive site, or go south and hit Sand Dollar house reef. No need to wait at airport truck rental as well on arrival if at Buddy Dive, get room key and truck key at front desk during check in as rental truck is part of buddy dive package.

Thank you Oly5050user!!! Since you've stayed & dived at them all - this is really helpful! Thought we had the choices down to the two -- but tonight we'll be starting the research over with these suggestions :coffee:.

*Side note: I was also an Oly 5050 user :thumb2:. Then bought Fuji E-900 equipment (which I never got to use and trying to sell in the Classifieds). My husband takes video (and pictures w/camcorder) and we would come back with the same shots. So I stopped lugging my camera equipment and let him take the video/pics, so I can just enjoy. Plus now I'm IN the pictures :wink:

Diversteves map of the plaza is a good reference. The red dot entry is close to the property line and folks not staying there can park nearby and walk in. However the tanks are not staged there. They are staged by the pool as well as the far opposite site by the Tipsy Seagull restaurant. If you want to dive nitrox you mark your tanks at the dive shop and they bring them to the staging areas. There is a shower and rinse tanks by the pool staging area and a rinse tank, but I don't recall shower by the tipsy seagull. The entry from the tipsy seagull is down a ladder from the pier. By the pool it is from the sandy beach. It is a pretty good distance to schlepp your gear all the way back to the dive shop lockers! Your room will more than likely be a lot closer if you don't mind staging your gear there. Its a very nice reef, but if I was primarily shore diving I would probably try another resort with the dive shop/lockers closer to the entry.

It appears that no one has stayed at Den Laman condominiums. I think you should strongly consider them. They are right on Bari Reef. Tanks are located right on the pier where there is a nice set of benches to sit down and gear up and then an easy giant stride into the water and a couple kicks out to Bari Reef. There are showers for rinsing and rinse tanks there as well. This location is south and adjacent to Sand Dollar and north of Eden. Dive operator there is now Dive Friends Bonaire, which in addition to the fill station and tanks right at Den Laman, has 3 other convenient locations on the island where you can drop off and pick up tanks. In addition to the tanks right on the pier, they have another cage full of tanks and a fill station in the parking lot for easy grab and go for the truck. There is a large locker room for gear storage. Den Laman has very reasonably and comparably priced dive, drive and breakfast packages: Den Laman
I like the 1 or 2 bedroom waterfront condos with large balconies, which you can clearly see from the photo below.
Here is a photo of the pier and the condos:
upload_2017-2-17_19-33-25.png

I've stayed at Buddy Dive, Divi and Plaza and would rank them in that order.

Plaza is very spread out and the shore dive site, although a good dive, is a long way from the dive shop and most of the rooms.
Divi is easy access to the house reef from most rooms and the shop and dive pier are near each other.

At Buddy Dive, rooms, dive shop, pier and house reef are all close and IMO, the house reef is a better dive site than Divi.
The only downside to BD, is that you have to drive into town, whereas Divi and Plaza are walking distance.

All 3 have excellent dive ops and good boats.

Diversteves map of the plaza is a good reference. The red dot entry is close to the property line and folks not staying there can park nearby and walk in. However the tanks are not staged there. They are staged by the pool as well as the far opposite site by the Tipsy Seagull restaurant. If you want to dive nitrox you mark your tanks at the dive shop and they bring them to the staging areas. There is a shower and rinse tanks by the pool staging area and a rinse tank, but I don't recall shower by the tipsy seagull. The entry from the tipsy seagull is down a ladder from the pier. By the pool it is from the sandy beach. It is a pretty good distance to schlepp your gear all the way back to the dive shop lockers! Your room will more than likely be a lot closer if you don't mind staging your gear there. Its a very nice reef, but if I was primarily shore diving I would probably try another resort with the dive shop/lockers closer to the entry.

Thank you mbs for the confirmation and additional details. Appreciate it! Looks like Plaza is out of the equation. Thanks again.

It appears that no one has stayed at Den Laman condominiums. I think you should strongly consider them. They are right on Bari Reef. Tanks are located right on the pier where there is a nice set of benches to sit down and gear up and then an easy giant stride into the water and a couple kicks out to Bari Reef. There are showers for rinsing and rinse tanks there as well. This location is south and adjacent to Sand Dollar and north of Eden. Dive operator there is now Dive Friends Bonaire, which in addition to the fill station and tanks right at Den Laman, has 3 other convenient locations on the island where you can drop off and pick up tanks. In addition to the tanks right on the pier, they have another cage full of tanks and a fill station in the parking lot for easy grab and go for the truck. There is a large locker room for gear storage. Den Laman has very reasonably and comparably priced dive, drive and breakfast packages: Den Laman
I like the 1 or 2 bedroom waterfront condos with large balconies, which you can clearly see from the photo below.
Here is a photo of the pier and the condos:
View attachment 397409

Hi Trailboss123. I just sent Den Laman a request for quote. Looks like the 1-BR Oceanfront may be booked for when we're looking to visit Bonaire. We Definitely want oceanfront. We love being that close and hearing the ocean - and looking over the balcony - watching the parrot fish, etc. We'll see what they come back with. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom