Bonaire first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wondered if anyone is headed for Bonaire the 1st week of March. Our first time and looking for dive buddies to show us the ropes.

Read some of the threads here! Like can't miss dives and a number of other threads are good! Are you staying at a resort?

BB..I see you are a new diver..Welcome..The best place to find dive buddies IMHO is to first go out on the dive boats & do some dives off of Klein with others. After the dive is the time to socialize and get to know the others on the boat a bit better and see if you can make some other arrangements for some shore dives.
Enjoy your trip. You're in for a REAL TREAT!

81* until June then up to 84* 86* by Sept.!!!!

BB - I agree with Vince - meet divers on boat. Check out their skills, let them check out yours. Much easier in that 'group environment' to assess and be assessed. Then you can strike up an innocuous conversation about getting together to do a beach dive. Suggest a site and admit you aren't real comfortable doing the beach. There are some tricks to making it easier!

Tori's is a great site for those not real comfortable. Search here or google to see it. Park very close to water. A small horseshoe shaped 'lagoon', maybe 15 ft across, little wave action. Formerly an outflow. Allows you to gear up in water easily. Plus it's a rock entry, maybe a bit easier then ironshore. Last year we were surface swimming out to the mooring in maybe 15 feet of water when my buddy signals face down. A nice size Eagle ray was dancing around! She hung out for 10 minutes. We saw a much smaller Eagle on the way back in as well, plus more trunkfish then I could count - I just think they are hysterical!

Another option may be to hire a local for a day to take you around. My buddy likes to say Bonaire is the easiest diving in the world, and while I have't dove the world, I can't see how it could get much easier!

IvyLeague - We were there mid march 2009- temps high 70's - 80 at depth. If you are inquiring as to exposure suiting - I usually wore a fleece lined skin during the day and 2ml on night dives. Was fine and we tend toward longer dives - 60 - 70 minute avg. Our usual trip is between Feb - April (before the local dive scene kicks in) and have not noted much swing in temps through various trips.

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom