Bonaire Newbie - Budget Place to Stay and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I are planning our first trip to Bonaire for late July, and we are looking for a clean, reasonably priced place to stay.

The requirements are: Clean, safe and good location.
It doesn't have to be on the water but we do appreciate being able to get there quickly for sunsets and some relaxing.
We plan on all shore diving so don't need access to boats but do want a truck/tank package.

All advice to get us started is greatly appreciated.

Also wondering what to expect for air/water temps that time of year and what the chance for rain is.

One option is the Dive Hut, which is well-liked by some on the forum an a budget operation, and uses the well-regarded WannaDive dive shop for scuba services. At least some places don't include cooking equipment in the room (someone on here got a room that did; I e-mailed & whoever answered me indicated a small fridge but not the other stuff), so take that into consideration as something you need to ask about. Pay particular attention to the minimal cost of adding the 2'nd person to the room at Dive Hut, as opposed to resorts that charge per person assuming there are at least 2 of you.

For another option, not so budget but not the most expensive either, consider Eden Beach Resort and Buddy Dive Resort. Both of those have cooking equipment in the rooms, and are ocean-front. I believe Buddy's is pricier but the house reef is a lot nicer and included breakfast buffet is a wonderful perk in my eyes.

Compare Dive Hut to the other 2 and that'll give you some idea what amount of money buys what amount of goods/services.

Let us know what you pick.

Richard.

have enjoyed the black durgon inn. its small, on the water, next to great dive site. its inexpensive but you do share kitchen with others staying. never been an issue for us. we are going for 8th time in last ten years ( maybe more) in March. anyway another place to consider. holiday homes is another inexpensive place but its not on the water. its south of town, black durgon north for what that's worth. Have looked into that one (holiday homes)but never stayed.

These might work:

Coco Palms Garden/Casa Oleander is in Belnem a few minutes south of town. They're a series of small rentals, most have kitchens and A/C. About a block walk to Bachelor's Beach from there. Bonaire budget vacation accommodation diving windsurfing snorkeling We've gone by them a dozen times but I've never been inside. Belnem is quiet at night. It's also a short drive from there to any of the restaurants in Kralendijk.

There's also a newish place on the lagoon near there called Waterlands Village. A 1br with full kitchen rents for $875/wk. It's on the lagoon just north of the airport so IDK if noise is a factor - there's not a lot of flights to Bonaire though. It probably wouldn't have ocean views but the lagoon there is salt water. Bachelors/Windsock would probably be the closest beach/dive sites from there also. I can't picture exactly where it is but I think you'd be looking at the back side of Port Bonaire condos or the Plaza Resort from there. If not, there could be views to the water. Waterlands Village BonaireBonaire Comfort Rentals

Lagoen Hill is east of town - it's a complex with smaller houses with full kitchens. But you'd have to drive to the waterfront. Bonaire Lagoen Hill Resort

Other budget options: Info Bonaire - Budget Accommodations - Hotel, Resort, Condo, and Apartment Listings on Bonaire

If you plan to cook, there's a warehouse foods slightly east of town. http://www.warehousebonaire.com/

Thread about water temperature in July: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/240214-bonaire-water-temperature.html

Don't worry too much about getting a resort with a package. Unless you specifically want the resort environment, there really isn't much incentive to go that way in Bonaire. Rent a truck from Telerin, rent someones condo/house/what have you from any of the many property management companies. Get your tanks from any reputable shop. I like Bonaire Dive and Adventure. They have excellent facilities and ample supply of tanks. Good staff too!

Marcolva Henriquez (Poppy)
Cell: 599-9-5163001 (24Hrs)
Cell: 599-7886401
PIN: 20D44BFA
Telerin Car Rental
telerin@bonairelive.com

Bonaire Dive and Adventure

Home | Bonaire Oceanfront Villa Rentals: Luxurious Villas and Vacation Homes
Bonaire Vacation Rentals || Villas || Paradise Rentals
Sunbelt Realty - Bonaire - Netherlands Antilles. bonaire, bonaire real estate, Home for sale Bonaire, caribbean, makelaar, makelaar bonaire, bonaire homes, koop, koop bonaire, sunbelt, corine, corine van der hout, bonaire rentals, bonaire land, real
Bonaire Vacation Rentals by Owner, Bonaire VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Bonaire Travel Information

Thanks for the responses looks like lots of good options here, I'm checking them all out.

Regarding electricity, (its 127v 50hz?) How does that affect things like laptop / camera chargers and hair dryers?
We are used to drinking all bottled water when in Cozumel, is the Bonaire water supply as I've read actually safe to drink?
How do most pay for meals, hotels, truck rental and diving? Cash, travelers checks or CC? ATM's safe for getting US cash?
How well does the available vehicle insurance protect non residents in the event of an accident?

We used our Canadian Visa/MC with no trouble. Amex is an option to, but not everywhere takes it. There are various ATM networks on the island: Plus, Cirrus, etc. You shouldn't have any issue at all paying for things or getting cash. I wouldn't worry about having a whole bunch with you or anything.

The water is great, it comes from a desalination plant. It's likely better than a lot of the water back in USA/Canada.

As for the electricity, it depends on the device. You will notice most electronics nowadays have a range. For example the power supply for my tablet says "100-240V 50-60H". If it's like this you are fine. If it's not marked, or specific to 120/60 it could cause trouble. Although lots of people don't worry about it and come out fine.

Hair dryers run slower and hot. Battery chargers do fine as do laptops, cell chargers etc.

The official currency on Bonaire is the U.S. dollar. We prepaid our package before arrival and paid for incidentals with cash/Visa. There are several banks with ATM's along the main road both in town and north near the dive resorts.

The water is absolutely tasteless. We filled water bottles and froze them - by the time you've done 2 dives at a site they're pretty well thawed but still cold.

Besides the local car rental companies, Avis and Budget are at the airport. Your credit card probably covers you also.

http://www.infobonaire.com/travel.html has most of this info.

Thanks for the responses looks like lots of good options here, I'm checking them all out.

Regarding electricity, (its 127v 50hz?) How does that affect things like laptop / camera chargers and hair dryers?
We are used to drinking all bottled water when in Cozumel, is the Bonaire water supply as I've read actually safe to drink?
How do most pay for meals, hotels, truck rental and diving? Cash, travelers checks or CC? ATM's safe for getting US cash?
How well does the available vehicle insurance protect non residents in the event of an accident?

Well personally, I'd recommend that you bring a portable surge protector before plugging in your laptop/ camera recharger.
No need to buy bottled water on Bonaire. From the tap is fine since it's distilled by reverse osmosis.
CC would be the way to go, ATMs are available if you need extra cash.
To my knowledge when you rent a vehicle no liability coverage is provided. Some of us on this board have an umbrella policy endorsed onto HO policy which provides liability coverage worldwide. Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom