Bonaire Newbie - Budget Place to Stay and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our truck rental came with CDW insurance included. We were required to provide a credit card to cover the $550 deductable in case we damaged the vehicle. If you're talking liability insurance in case you run someone over - I have no idea but chose not to worry about it.

As others have said, the water's excellent, but you may want to bring some powdered Gatorade with you. It's really easy to get dehydrated in Bonaire.

Can I get some comments on the current concerns for Box Jellies and Man of War on Bonaire?
We will be there in Late July if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Well I am no expert but in 10-12 trips never heard of Man of War jelly's on bonaire. Box Jellies yes but usually at night or dusk. Personally had one encounter with either a box jelly or sea wasp. it bite someone at the resort i was staying at and it was challenging. but its not something to worry about imho. its another reason to where a wetsuit. whatever it was i am told it was moon related.

Can I get some comments on the current concerns for Box Jellies and Man of War on Bonaire?
We will be there in Late July if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Fortunately the BBB is rare. hint..when snorkeling every few feet however make sure you look straight ahead and are not consistently looking down. With respect to the Man of War, generally you will not see any. However the probability is much higher if you're snorkeling on the lee (west) side when the island is experiencing a wind reversal.

Also, forgot to add..This calender may be of some interest to you.. Has to do with phases of the moon and anticipated arrival of jellyfish. Notwithstanding it's produced in Hawaii, it's still the same moon..:wink:
July Box Jellyfish Arrival Calendar for Hawaii 2012

Thanks for the comments if I am reading that calendar correctly, it would appear the arrival of Box Jelly's during the week of July 22nd to 28th would be unlikely?

Do people just not night dive on Bonaire because of an increase in Box Jelly chances?
Am I correct that the Box Jelly's Bonaire may or may not get, are not irukandji which are usually fatal but are really nasty anyway?

Jeez, just spent a week in Bonaire and never even thought about jellies. We did see a bunch of small jellies below us on the surface swim out to the reef one day. Never gave them a second thought and forgot all about them by the time we began our descent.

Never even considered that they might be more than just a nuisance to run into.

Do people just not night dive on Bonaire because of an increase in Box Jelly chances?

Not that I'm aware of. As I indicated in a prior post, they are very rare on Bonaire. In fact personally I've never ever spotted one although have seen pictures. Anyway, you would be wearing a full wet suit, no?

Thanks for the comments, glad to hear box jellies are rare in Bonaire.
My wife and I have never been somewhere they are possible, so just wanted info and yes we will be wearing our 3/2 full suits.

We will be staying at the Black Durgon Inn, the water/diving access sounds great and we also like small groups. If the rooms are clean, and the people are friendly we will be happy. The only real negative comments I could find anywhere, was that apparently they don't want you to take more than one tank per diver offsite due to theft concerns. Perhaps chauncy19 can comment since he has stayed there numerous times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom