Bonaire - Nitrox desirable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman159

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm about to book a trip to Bonaire for late march, I'm really excited about this trip and want to get the most out of it-diving wise.

I can squeeze in a classroom only nitrox class before going, I'd have to take it this week (only offering) and its $300 for wife and I.

What are your thoughts, Since I don't know tons about Nitrox- get the concept, would using EAN get me more dives/better experience? or would good old air work just as good.

Not sure if the class is totally worth slamming in just for the trip.

If you're getting a free Nitrox upgrade with your trip and plan on doing more than a couple of dives a day you should probably do it.
Price seems a tad high but that may be the going rate for the N.Y. Market.
Have fun in Bonaire.

If you want to do 4 or 5 dives a day,especially if deepish (>60ft or so ) then nitrox could be helpful. If you plan on diving shallow then air will let you get in all the dives you want.

No NEED for it but kind of nice if you are diving a lot.

We are going in late March as well. My two friends are getting their Nitrox cert while there for approx $175.00 - it is a one day class and includes dives off the house reef.

If you want more info let me know - I don't want to take away from your LDS (see thread from 2003 that resurfaced)

I think it is a good place to be be nitrox certified - less nitrogen buildup over multiple dives can not be a bad idea - I am hoping to get at least 18 dives in, in 7 days.

I’ve been to Bonaire 3 times and never needed nitrox. Best parts on most reefs are above 60ft. I do often drop deeper in the beginning of dive but there is no reason to spent all time/air on a deeper parts of the reef. You can always ascent to a depth allowing plenty of no-deco time on air (computer is highly advisable though). And if for some reason you want to see more of a deep (e.g. Hilma) you can always do another dive. Boat dives are also not very long/deep (at least it is advised by DMs) so within air limits.
On the other hand if you have a chance to get nitrox certificate I do highly recommend it. If you are going to dive more in a future I am pretty sure you will encounter situations when nitrox will be very useful.

I would say Bonaire is one of the best arguments for Nitrox. The depths and the mutliple dives a day are where Nitrox is most beneficial from a recreational pov. You will get a LOT more bottom time in anything deeper than 60 feet with repetitive dives.

You don't mention where you are staying or what operation you are diving with. Many of the operations will offer free nitrox upgrades or you mentioned a very low-cost upgrade.

There are sites where nitrox is undesirable - Karpata for one - where you may want to venture deeper than MOD. The dives are all reef dives where you can spend a time at deeper depth and work you way up for a momentous multi-level dive.

Then there are sites where nitrox is almost a necessity. An excursion to the outer reef at Alice in Wonderland or The Lake will be especially grand with longer bottom times at moderate depth. The Hilma Hooker is a must nitrox dive.

Of course - your time underwater is most determined by your SCR - Nitrox does not reduce your gas consumption. One of my hardest tasks was to convince a diver who averaged 20 minutes on a 80 that he would not get longer bottom times with nitrox. So if you are relaxed and can spend the extra time then Nitrox is grand - if not it is a waste.

Bonaire is the king of multi-level dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom