Bonaire Poll, treacherous shore diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had a problem with entry/exit. My wife has knee issues and she has no difficulties; of greater concern were the urchins which could put a hurting on one should one put a foot wrong.....

The urchins are there, but usually not too bad, UNLESS you shore diver the eastern, or Wild side. THERE the urchins carpet the shallows, which are swept by much stronger surge continually, than the western more sheltered side where almost all the diving is done. The wild side you really need a guide or a boat dive.

I have a bad leg, and my gf has some back problems. If I have any question about the entry at a dive site, I do it first in just my dive boots, hard sole, and get a good feel for the entry, before I gear up.
Then I help Colleen into the water til she is @ waist deep, where she can stop, put on her fins, and drift. I have carried her tank out for her, when the surge was a problem. I then return to shore, gear up and do my entry.

As Bubbletrubble said, there are quite often piles of rocks that have been left by previous divers, to mark the better entry and exit points. As you enter, turn back and do an under water survey of the entry point, so you can return to that exact point for the exit.

Staying low, keeping your fins in your hands, and making sure of your footing before the next step is a big help.

To me boat diving is no guarantee of easy, pain free exits. My worst tumble was when an unexpected large wave lifted the stern clear of the ocean, and tried to sweep me off the ladder, and split open my leg (not sure what part of the Caribbean we were on the trip). :shakehead:

No entry I have ever done on Bonaire, even the few I that did take a tumble during, compare with the N Atlantic washing machine entries we did as teens on the MA and ME coastline. THOSE were rough, surf and rock entries that required serious timing and luck.

Bonaire shore diving is pretty easy as shore diving goes. I don't think it needs to be made easier - if one wants railing and stairs, they can use their hotel house reef.

Easy however, doesn't mean that no preparation/skill is required. If you try to dive Bonaire barefoot, with no exposure protection, poor orientation, or aren't fit enough to comfortably lift your gear (and lead) from a sitting/kneeling position - you're in for a lot of trouble.

Yes, fitness is important for diving (says the guy whose bike and running shoes haven't left the garage for almost a year now).

Even hand rails are no panacea. Very nice stainless ladder at Windsock Resort's site.

Perfect entry almost all the time. EXCEPT the one time :shakehead: Toward the end of a very nice dive I noticed a surge that became stronger as we hit the shallows, and was very strong as we neared the ladder.

I told Colleen to wait out in the 4' deep area, while I ran my gear up the ladder and dumped it, to return and help her. As I got to the top step I saw she had ignored my precaution and was approaching the ladder, and in that instant a seriously larger wave swept her past the ladder, only to return her (face first) into that nice stainless steel handrail. :shocked2:

Worst mishap I ever saw on Bonaire, and tho it scared us both, it was simply a warning to never let your guard down, even at the easiest sites. No blood, no scars, just a serious adrenalin rush for both of us!

I had a similar mishap to Colleen's at Capt. Don's dock. Was approaching the ladder underwater when a wave threw me off course and right into a piling. Instead of using my head, I put up my hand to stop the impact and it immediately lit up from the encrusted fire coral. Welts for a week.

But that doesn't compare to J's exit at Old Blue when coral rubble/rocks on the little hillside we needed to ascend back to our truck gave way and she started to fall - unfortunately her dive boot had great traction and instead of giving way with her, caused a spiral fracture to her tibia. As we were the only ones at the site at the time, you can imagine how fun it was!

Put me down as one of those that found the shore diving to be a chore and I probably won't return (although I enjoyed the diving and our guide could not have been better). I played football and have pretty messed up knees (doctor says I will be in for knee replacements as soon as I can't stand the pain anymore). My wife, 5 3" 120 lbs and in extremely good physical condition (major mountain bike devotee) also took a couple falls, cutting her hand pretty deeply. My daughter, same size as my wife and an extremely fit gym rat fell once and got scraped up pretty good. We had a guide and went all over the west side. We did a few boat dives and some of the dock dives, all of which were very good. I think the diving is some of the best in the caribbean but those that say it is easy, well, in my humble opinion as a guy who does nearly all boat dives at other resorts, it is MUCH more difficult. I have never been shore diving on rocky shores in Northern California. I'm from Utah so please understand I have very little shore diving experience to compare (I doubt cocoview is a fair comparison) but I always smile as I read reports saying shore diving is easier than boat diving blah blah blah. Boanaire is great because you control where, when and how much you dive, but easier??? That is simply disingenuous for most of the sites there. We loved the diving once we were in the water but we all dreaded the getting in and out. By the way, we had good footwear, followed the guides advice as to where to enter/exit, put on gear out in about 4 feet of water etc. It is still not EASY.

Shore diving isn't easier, but in Bonaire it is more fun (IMHO).

Use good, hard soled footwear.

Walk out with your reg in your mouth and mask on (it's faceplant insurance).

Don/Doff your fins in 4+ ft./ 1.3 m of water.

Don't try swimming in until you have to stand. Even small waves can tumble you and you have to lift all your gear.

I have often times stacked cairns of rocks at my entry point. This is so I can see my way back to the same little sand chute in the ironshore from the water.

Geared up buddy walking can help. An alternative is for the stronger buddy to walk the other one into the water, but sans gear.

Shuffle along the bottom if you can't see where your feet are going. Don't transfer your weight until you are sure the footing for your next step is secure.

Don't look down at your feet if there is a lot of surge. Just stand still, look at the shore until the wave passes. Time your moves between waves.

There are often small urchins in the foreshore rocks.

At night, on sites away from street lights, anchor a small marker light underwater opposite your entry point. Many sites have a few limited paths through the foreshore ledges.

I try to back my pickup truck as close to the water as possible. From there I extend a 20ft ladder into the water on a slight 20 degree angle....this allows me to exit the water without having to deal with all that nasty rock.

I get a Marine Park tag for the ladder and all is well.

Not that my vote counts anywhere in this Universe, but I'd vote against any changes. There are already easy sites in Bonaire, and that's enough.

Shore diving isn't easier, but in Bonaire it is more fun (IMHO).

Use good, hard soled footwear.

Walk out with your reg in your mouth and mask on (it's faceplant insurance).

Don/Doff your fins in 4+ ft./ 1.3 m of water.

I agree with most of this except for the regulator. In fact, after checking my air on shore, I turn it off since I use my snorkel for the surface swim out to the dropoff.
And w/o the reg in your mouth, it's easier to scream at your buddy if the entry is a bit tricky...

Put me down as one of those that found the shore diving to be a chore and I probably won't return . We had a guide and went all over the west side. Boanaire is great because you control where, when and how much you dive, but easier??? That is simply disingenuous for most of the sites there.

Well I strongly suspect the problem is that you "went all over the west side". There are many sites on the west side which my wife with RA & bad ankles is not capable of diving.. BUT, there are many sites which are EZ where you can just walk right in..Just to name a few...
1. Something Special
2. The Rock
3. Windsock
4. Oil Slick (jump in)
5. Bachelor Beach
You have to be careful choosing sites to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom