Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy -book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you buy the book, or borrow the book, you'll sure have fun with the actual diving. All around best location for shore diving I've ever experienced.

I do not believe the book is a tremendous help overall, however I do think that it can be a nice reference for when you get back. The book was incomplete IMO and was desperately lacking photos of the sites etc. as well as a more comprehensive map). I have no idea where mine is and I will make 30 more trips to Bonaire and NEVER miss it. On the plus side, I do not recall it being expensive and maybe the author has since corrected some of the current version's (or at least my version) shortcomings.

Personally I think that it is difficult for a first timer to Bonaire to understand just how easy it is to get to sites and to dive there. Once you understand just how easy it is, and you know that you can ask people there questions about all the sites, then they will understand that the book really is not required.

If you want it, then it is inexpensive enough to not be a waste of money though. In the end, this book will not make or break a Bonaire dive trip IMO.

While Omar did in fact change some of the entries/exits I found the information in the book helpful, especially for locating some of the less dived, unmarked sites. Even though finding the marked sites is easy it is nice to have a general description of the dive such as where the double reef is located. While to book does not have a map it is easy to use the one that you receive during your dive orientation or to just remember that the book is written from north to south. I did not miss photos as those would certainly have added to the cost. It is great to write down thoughts, notes, etc and use it like a journal. Just my 2 cents.

We thought the book was a fantastic resource for our first 2 week trip, and when paired with the map we picked up at the airport, it was perfect for our purposes. We kept it in the viser of our truck during the day so we could consult both book and map when choosing our next dive site, and consulted it every morning before leaving for our first dive. Then last year I forgot to bring the book and found we really didn't need it anymore.

That leads me to say that I think its an amazing resource for your first one or two trips to Bonaire (depending on how long you're staying and how much you're diving), but once you've experienced most of the sites, you'll likely find you don't need it anymore.

So if its your first trip, I think buying the book is an excellent idea.

PS If you buy the book, note that when it says "long swim" on many of the southern sites, it simply means there's a sand flat prior to encountering the reef. We never surface swim on Bonaire, instead swim over the sand flat checking out the coral outcroppings and looking for critters in the sand. You don't use much air doing this and we've found some amazing juveniles and large eels doing this. Also, if you swim back over the sand flat at the end of your dive, it acts as your surface interval and is much more interesting than hanging at 15' for 3-5 min.

It is useful, but don't expect too much. I prefer to read ahead, rather than just going to a site, so it was useful. I had some of the internet stuff printed out also, but really didn't want to print out dozens of pages, when I could just buy a book. I took notes on paper each half day when leaving to dive, and didn't carry the book with me in the truck, since it is an item easily sold if stolen.

I'll second what the Maven said about "long swim" sites -- none of them seem that long when there is always something good to see in the sandy shallows.

Last edited:
I've bought the book and think there is some good information in it.
Will let you know how accurate it was when we return from Bonaire (end of March).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread is open again.

The point made in Post 17 by Pilot Fish is relevant and stays.

The ensuing back and forth that it caused has been deleted.

Please remain on topic now. If it degenerates into more bickering I will be forced to take stronger measures to keep it on topic.

R..

Last edited:
I find the book extremely useful . The directions are better than a map . However , if used after Omar Entries have changed significantly .
I hope an updated version is out before I return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom