Bonaire Trip Report: 4/13 - 4/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just back from a week in Bonaire and had a great time! I'm not much on "trip reports" in terms of reporting what we saw on every site, but here are the sites my buddy and I visited while in Bonaire last week:

• Playa Benge
  • Bisé Morto
  • Karpata (x2)
  • Ol’ Blue
  • 1000 Steps
  • Witch's Hut
  • Jeff Davis Memorial
  • Kalli's Reef
  • Oil Slick Leap
  • Barcadera
  • Andrea I
  • Cliff
  • La Machaca
  • Bari Reef
  • Front Porch
  • Town Pier
  • Kalabas Reef
  • Eighteen Palms
  • Windsock
  • Bachelor's Beach
  • Lighthouse Point
  • Hilma Hooker (x2)
  • Angel City
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Jeannie's Glory
  • Red Beryl
  • Atlantis
  • Red Slave
  • Cai (x2)

The diving was all great, as one would expect. My favorite site was Red Slave. Oil Slick was probably my second favorite, followed Cliff and then all the rest. (My buddy’s favorite was Red Beryl - I think.) We did the Hilma Hooker at 7am, which was a great site to have all to ourselves before everyone and their brother stirred it up all day. Town Pier night dive was good. We covered all the various areas, and given how close all the many sites are to each other (we did Small Wall from Cliff, Country Garden from Ol’ Blue, etc) I think it’s fair to say we saw everything there is to see diving-wise in Bonaire. If I had it to do over again I would have brought more tanks to the Washington-Slagbaai park and done two more while we were up there (On Day 1 we naively observed the “no more than two nitrox tanks at a time” sign at our dive op.)

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of food in Bonaire, having sampled excellent fare at the following spots:
  • Papaya Moon – Food was quite good and our waiter Andrew was quite a character, adding to the overall entertainment value of the experience.
  • Patagonia – Very nice steak au poivre with shrimp, fine service. Very nice location right on the water at the marina.
  • Mona Lisa – Great meal and attentive service from Rudy. Mango cheesecake with fresh berries and sorbet was a perfect end to the meal.
  • Richard’s Waterfront Dining – Fine shrimp scampi and fish dishes, very good salads. Great location right on the water looking across to Klein Bonaire.
  • Wil’s Caribbean Grille – Genuinely phenomenal food and great service. I had the shrimp wrapped in prosciutto with Creole spice and tomato-basil marmalade that was one of the best shrimp dishes I’ve had anywhere in the world. Deserts were great too: chocolate lava cake and platter called “Four-in-One” which was four different deserts in one.
In order to put one recurring food issue to rest, we ate at Pasa Bon Pizza. Long story short: if you want good pizza, you should not look for it in Bonaire. Is this a surprise to anyone? I’m from the NYC area. We have the best pizza in the world here. I had very low expectations of the quality of the pizza, and those expectations were adequately met. (Think “mall pizza” or “Chuck E. Cheese” and you’ll get the idea.) There is no doubt that Pasa Bon Pizza has the best pizza in Bonaire, and if you’re from south of the Mason-Dixon line or west of the Delaware River you’ll enjoy it.

Lunch? We bought a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jelly, and a loaf of bread at the local grocery store on Sunday. Total cost for lunch for the week for the two of us: $7.50. (Actually, a few bucks more than that if you count the powdered Gatorade packs we brought and mixed with ice water from the cooler at the dive op!)

We stayed at the Plaza Resort which was very nice, and good value for the money. The Junior Suite room we had (J131) was huge in and of itself. The second-floor location was great as we had a cathedral ceiling with a fan. 2nd floor also afforded us a balcony (versus patio) that we were comfortable leaving gear on to dry over night. This room had a newly renovated bathroom which was huge, with separate toilet room. (Looks like they were renovating other bathrooms in the same wing while we were there.) The breakfast buffet that was included in our room rate was perfectly fine, featuring eggs, omelets, etc made to order as well as crepes, potatoes, bacon, sausage, fruits, pastries, and juices. We ate at the Banana Tree restaurant the first night and were happy with the food and service.

Toucan Diving at Plaza Resort’s unlimited shore diving was the perfect set-up for us. “All you can eat” nitrox 9am-6pm with air tanks available 24hrs day. We didn’t bother with the boat dives included in our package, opting instead to stock up on nitrox tanks for the morning dives the night before and returning at noon for tanks for the afternoon and night. Gear lockers were handy, and our room wasn’t far from dive shop and parking lot.

PS - as reported elsewhere on ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/230148-you-don-t-need-cold-dry.html) for sure you will get strange looks and comments if you wear a dry suit in Bonaire!

In order to put one recurring food issue to rest, we ate at Pasa Bon Pizza. Long story short: if you want good pizza, you should not look for it in Bonaire. Is this a surprise to anyone? I’m from the NYC area. We have the best pizza in the world here. I had very low expectations of the quality of the pizza, and those expectations were adequately met.

Thanks for the trip report. But I felt the need to chime in about this.

I am also from "the NYC area" - and by that I mean I live approx a 45 minute drive away from it. I suspect you live about an hour away as well. We can certainly consider ourselves to live in the greater NY Metro area. I have had many pizzas from many places in NYC including Ray's, World Famous Ray's and Original Ray's, among others.:D On top of that I live about 20 minutes from the famous Sally's Pizza and Pepe's Pizza of New Haven, CT. Sally's is the pizza place that Frank Sinatra would send his driver to when he was playing gigs IN New York City. Hey...if it's good enough for Frank.:wink:

Anyway, my point is I liked Pasa Bon Pizza. Is it the best pizza I've ever had? Probably not. Did I enjoy it anyway even though I'm from an area that "has the best pizza in the world?" You bet I did! Maybe that's because I went in there without the idea that the pizza would suck because it's not from New York.

BTW-May I ask how many places in the world have you had pizza from?? Chicago? Italy? Greece? American Flatbreads in Vermont? (It's really good! :)) You get my point.

This reply post is, of course, tongue-in-cheek. But I did want everybody to know that you can enjoy Pasa Bon Pizza even if you are accustomed to eating pizza from the Northeast -shall we say. It is good pizza...and not just for Bonaire.

Is it the best pizza I've ever had? Probably not. Did I enjoy it anyway even though I'm from an area that "has the best pizza in the world?" You bet I did! Maybe that's because I went in there without the idea that the pizza would suck because it's not from New York.

So, if I went expecting it to be really good, it would have been?

:D

BTW-May I ask how many places in the world have you had pizza from?? Chicago? Italy? Greece? American Flatbreads in Vermont? (It's really good! :)) You get my point.

Been to all those places, and more. (Chicago style pizza isn't good pizza either, by the way.) Been to Sally's, been to Pepe's. That's good pizza! All the "Original Ray's" and "Famous Ray's" pizza in NYC are all crap. John's in the Village is where it's at. Or any place in Brooklyn.

This reply post is, of course, tongue-in-cheek. But I did want everybody to know that you can enjoy Pasa Bon Pizza even if you are accustomed to eating pizza from the Northeast -shall we say. It is good pizza...and not just for Bonaire.

In the end, pizza is like sex: When it's good, it's great. And when it's not great...it's still pretty good!

:eyebrow:

Sounds like I'll love the pizza. I've got *very* broad standards for pizza. If you like potato and bacon pizza in Fukuoka, Japan, you probably like anything, eh? (It was actually a rather delicious pizza, believe it or not. :biggrin:)

I've still got 108 days to talk myself into diving dry in Bonaire. I'm certainly tempted so far. Perhaps if I dive dry at ItK, I'll have the guts to go for it. :D

Sounds like I'll love the pizza. I've got *very* broad standards for pizza. If you like potato and bacon pizza in Fukuoka, Japan, you probably like anything, eh? (It was actually a rather delicious pizza, believe it or not. :biggrin:)

I've still got 108 days to talk myself into diving dry in Bonaire. I'm certainly tempted so far. Perhaps if I dive dry at ItK, I'll have the guts to go for it. :D

Why would you want to dive dry in September? The water will be warm enough for a bathing suite only.

Why would you want to dive dry in September?
What does September have to do with anything? 108 days from now, it'll be just a week into August. :wink:
The water will be warm enough for a bathing suit only.
Sure, if you're *swimming*. I can do laps in 70-degree water, no problem. It's havoc on air consumption, and with the number and length of the dives we're doing, you'll end up chilled.

By diving on the warm end of your comfort zone, you can make longer, more plentiful dives and have better air consumption to boot. Some people would rather have the feel of the water around them (preferably without even a wetsuit except as necessary). I'm of the opposite persuasion.

(Of course, since I love diving in positively frigid water, it doesn't often come up.)

Back
Top Bottom