You don't need to be COLD to be DRY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back from a week of diving dry in Bonaire (33 dives in 6 days), where my buddy and I were teased relentlessly by nearly every other diver on the island. Even the folks that cut their own Town Pier night dives short because they were cold made fun of my DUI 30/30 "tropical" dry suit!

As comfortable in 80F UNDER water...
RJP3.JPG

...as it is in 85F ABOVE water!
WarmDry.jpg

My trusty DUI 30/30 has been to Florida (3x), Hawaii (2x), Curacao, St Kitts, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and now Bonaire. After almost 100 dives in 80F water with the suit I can assure you that dry is the only way to dive! (In fact, since buying the 30/30 the only time I've worn a wetsuit has been in an indoor heated pool!)

Well, maybe for you. I can assure you some of us truly enjoy diving wet, especially when the temperature allows for it.

Sounds like a great dive count.

Pete

I don't dive dry but I know everyone has different cold thresholds. I'm all for respecting anyone who makes their diving more comfortable...:D

Don't know, but there is something sick getting a tan in a drysuit!!

I want to try one at DUI Dog Day - just not sure if it will feel quite the same in thick underwear in a quarry....

I love diving dry in the springs in Florida; 70 degree water and a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit means really COMFORTABLE for the whole dive.

In 79 or 80 degree water, I'm still diving wet, but the combination of the She-P and the Fusion may change that :)

Only issue i find with a drysuit in warm climates is the out of the water. It can be uncomfortable in the sun, you can sweat making it damp and clammy and so on.

In the water though no problem. If doing multiple dives over multiple days even warm water will chill you so if you can cope with the surface cooking then i dont see the problem.

Ive been to a few warm water places where id have killed to have a drysuit after a few days.

Diving dry in 80F water and then lying in the tropical sun in a drysuit that blocks those beautiful tradewinds doesn't appeal to me, and I'm a big fan of diving dry locally even in water temps up to 80 degrees. I don't own a wetsuit anymore.

The difference is the number of repetitive dives and surface intervals and driving from one site to another, as often is the case in Bonaire.

The alternative of removing the suit between dives seems to cross the line of "excessively high maintenance" for me.

In Bonaire, I rented a shorty, averaged close to 4 dives a day for 10 days of diving and kept things simple.

Actually feeling the water was a big plus.

Drop the water temp to 75F and I'm right with you, though. :D

Dave C

Maybe I'm lazy, but I REALLY like having my drysuit hold my feet up for me (by putting just a tad amount extra in the boots), so drysuit diving has perks beyond just staying warm in cold climates.

Harry's New Rule: If the water temp is less than 77 degrees, I'm going DRY!

When you're diving as frequently as you were, it pays to be dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom