You don't need to be COLD to be DRY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only issue i find with a drysuit in warm climates is the out of the water. It can be uncomfortable in the sun, you can sweat making it damp and clammy and so on.

I've been surprised from the very beginning how comfortable the 30/30 is ABOVE water. Have worn it in full-sun 90F+ with no problem. In fact I've been much hotter and more uncomfortable in a 3mm wetsuit while gearing up and waiting to enter than I've ever been in the DUI.

The material is a "breathable" trilam (DUI's "Tropical Dry" technology) and really seems to work. As you can see in the picture I posted, laying in the sun in the noon sun at +85F with the top of the suit simply zipped down is plenty comfortable. In fact, I never once sweated in the thing the whole week. That includes jaunts up and down 1,000 Steps, Karapata, and rock-climbing in and out of sites like Bise Morto and some other unmarked sites up in the park and elsewhere.

The thin Capilene 3 top and bottom I wear underneath is great on the surface because it allows wind to flow through and sweat to evaporate, but blocks the sun effectively.

Yea-Yea, the Whites tropical explorer dry was just fine also. Honestly though, RJP and I were really comfortable and often left the drysuit just unzipped while driving around. We did get more than a few "hypothermia" jokes but a lot of jaws dropped when they heard how often we got to dive. We've never missed a dive because of cold and that had happened before I went dry.

Dry is the only way to dive!!! Water temps in the river hit 78 last year, I get the same looks when suiting up!! I love my dry... don't even own a wetsuit anymore!!

It's bad to get old, isn't it----but sure beats that other thing........:)

The material is a "breathable" trilam (DUI's "Tropical Dry" technology) and really seems to work. As you can see in the picture I posted, laying in the sun in the noon sun at +85F with the top of the suit simply zipped down is plenty comfortable. In fact, I never once sweated in the thing the whole week. That includes jaunts up and down 1,000 Steps, Karapata, and rock-climbing in and out of sites like Bise Morto and some other unmarked sites up in the park and elsewhere.

I wonder what prevents DUI (or someone else) making other shell suits with this breathable material? I would not mind if my TLS breathed a bit more on days when it's 70-90F on surface but bottom temp is barely 40F. Wonder what the problem is (stiffening of the material? durability?) Maybe this is explained somewhere on their site but I don't recall seeing it.

But I like being wet when its warm. Otherwise when its cold...........

Attachments

• Pir8 003.JPG
    Pir8 003.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 67
RJP,

What's the coldest water you've been in with the 30/30?

Thanks

bob

I love diving dry in the springs in Florida; 70 degree water and a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit means really COMFORTABLE for the whole dive.

In 79 or 80 degree water, I'm still diving wet, but the combination of the She-P and the Fusion may change that :)

As a new Fusion owner, I am looking to dive it throughout the summer, in the NE, Carolinas, and Florida/Mexico.

Now I bought the Whites MK3 undergarment, and I think it is already too warm here in the NYC/Long Island area to dive that. So I'm looking for a lighter weight undergarment, like the Whites MK2 or a garment made of 200 Thinsulate. I'll be diving in the 70-130' range in the Atlantic and at Dutch Springs (90' max I think), and I get cold easily.

I have full UnderArmour that I will wear for the warmest days or to layer, but I think I need more. How about the custom route? I know DiveRiteExpress.com has a spring sale right now on all 200 thinsulate undergarments...is $135 a good price and how are DiveRites undergarments quality wise?

Thank you!
All the best,
Geoff

RJP,

What's the coldest water you've been in with the 30/30?

Mid 70's probably. Anything "colder" than that and I wear the TLS-350.

Mid 70's probably. Anything "colder" than that and I wear the TLS-350.

So you only use the 30/30 for warm water. Is that because its cut so slim you can't get much in the way of underwear into it; or, you already had the TLS-350 so there's no point in trying to get much underwear in the 30/30? I'm curious since my wife's trying to decide between the 30/30 and a White's Fusion. She's really only interested in warmer waters (and gets cold easily), but, I'd like her to try some of the local lakes. Still, the primary concern is here staying warm in tropical waters with 20+ dives a week.

Thanks

Bob

Back
Top Bottom